padraigbrowne

New action cam model from Sony , AS100V

Doesn't seem quite so simple as either you, or I otherwise might assume. This is from Trunk's (the owner of Hypeye) direct response to me, from the other thread and my inquiries made of him, noted:

Sony actually changed the protocol this year, so the hypeye and adapter will NOT work with these cameras. Unfortunately there is now a 2 wire protocol and we do not yet provide a solution for this.

Unfortunately there is no way to get even just the status of the camera with an adapter. If it was an easy fix, trust me, I would implement it. We're sitting on a bunch of inventory that is also getting obsolete so trust me I have a vested interest in it.

[:/]
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

darklow

I filled this front gap with a piece semi-hard foam plate (from some equipment packaging material, see attached photo. just make sure it is not too soft, so it actually stabilize camera) and looks like jello effect minimized significantly and few jumps it is gone completely.

Give it a try and see if it helps you. If it will, then probably i am right. If not, it might be some issue in stabilization algorithm and i am just lucky with my recent jumps.

Tried extra filling as above but it doesn't remove the jello effect. I'd say there is something wrong in the steadyshot algorithm (very visible on this video):
http://1drv.ms/1jSovMY

realpet

***I filled this front gap with a piece semi-hard foam plate (from some equipment packaging material, see attached photo. just make sure it is not too soft, so it actually stabilize camera) and looks like jello effect minimized significantly and few jumps it is gone completely.

Give it a try and see if it helps you. If it will, then probably i am right. If not, it might be some issue in stabilization algorithm and i am just lucky with my recent jumps.

Tried extra filling as above but it doesn't remove the jello effect. I'd say there is something wrong in the steadyshot algorithm (very visible on this video):
http://1drv.ms/1jSovMY

Yes looks like the problem is still there and i was just lucky, slower tandems maybe, or less movement in picture, therefore less jello.

I also found this video, where camera is attached to drone.
What is interesting, that when there is steady object in the frame, then there is no jello effect. But as soon as you turn on steadyshot (in video starting at 1:00) and picture has a lot of movement, jello effect appears.
It looks like it is steadyshot algoritm that fails:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wcyrsmumeg

DSE: Maybe you have some Sony contacts you can forward this information and these two video links?

With such an awesome video quality (my tandem videos look awesome, even on late evenings) it is such a shame, that stabilization algorithm cause such jello effect. Hope it could be fixed by firmware, it should be i think.
The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness
http://adventure.lv/

realpet

What is interesting, that when there is steady object in the frame, then there is no jello effect.

Maybe I need to add a piece of wire or like in front of the camera to get rid of jello :-P
- Petri

@realpet - i posted jello issue report on Sony ActionCam community site. Hope you don't mind i provided you video as one of the examples. Let's hope, technical staff will respond and give us some comments: http://community.sony.com/t5/Camcorders-Action-Cam/Stabilisation-jello-effect-on-Sony-AS100/m-p/396194#U396194

darklow

@realpet - i posted jello issue report on Sony ActionCam community site. Hope you don't mind i provided you video as one of the examples. Let's hope, technical staff will respond and give us some comments: http://community.sony.com/t5/Camcorders-Action-Cam/Stabilisation-jello-effect-on-Sony-AS100/m-p/396194#U396194

Thanks, I have no problem with that if there is any chance that somehow this leads to better SW :)

- Petri

Scrumpot

Have any of you guys just tried doing the job without steadyshot turned on at all, be it with either this ASV, or any of the CX series of cameras - and then, when/if you have - what have been your results?

Most everyone I know shoots tandem footage with the Steady Shot OFF on the CX cameras.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I have jumped two years with CX115 - i always used SteadyShot: STANDARD. (There is also ACTIVE option, which is maximum stabilisation, which also crops picture)
I jumped one year with Sony ActionCam AS15 and always used steadyshot ON.

Had no problems with these two cameras and now with the same helmet, same Cookie ActionCam sleeve mount i am experiencing jello effect on Sony AS100 with stabilisation ON (not always as i have mentioned before in this post).

Also if you saw drone video example, looks like jello effect disappears if stabilisation is OFF. Will try to turn it off in next weekend and see the results.

I just really like steadyshot option, while recording on ground, going to the plane and so on, picture looks so nice and steady without extra shaking while walking etc.

Scrumpot

Have any of you guys just tried doing the job without steadyshot turned on at all, be it with either this ASV

Haven't had time to do that yet. I'd very much prefer to have the steadyshot on as the FOV is smaller with it...
Will test when I have time

- Petri

Scrumpot

Have any of you guys just tried doing the job without steadyshot turned on at all, be it with either this ASV, or any of the CX series of cameras - and then, when/if you have - what have been your results?

CX150 with steady shot in active mode. It does crop a bit (takes a .55 and turns it into about a .8), but I think it is more than worth it for the results. Even with a FTP, the amount vibration is noticiable between Off/Standard/Active.

i just want you guys to know of some problems I had with my sony as100v:
I went to Switzerland for a wingsuit base trip and took the as100v as my primary camera. I use a Panasonic 64gig memory card (sdxc)
the camera worked fine for the first half of the trip, after every jump I would download the videos to my phone for review.
after 100 files were stored on the card, the camera began corrupting files.
there was still over 8 hrs remaining on the card that I could record on. every jump after 100 was corrupted.
I spoke with sony, they had me send in the camera and said they would recover the videos for me.
after receiving the camera they replaced the main board and said my memory card had a virus that caused the problem.
the card was brand new and reformatted before use, also scanned with antivirus. the problem began after it worked 99 times.
when they sent me the camera and card back they deleted all of the videos from the card that were corrupt!
I saved the files before I sent them in thank god. but wtf? shouldn't they have at least asked first?
im pretty pissed at sony right now, their customer service reps will lie to you, and don't think for a min that youll get a supervisor on the phone, not happening.
im very disgusted at sony right now, be careful if you trust these cameras, they can and will fail and gopro has better customer service than sony and that isn't saying much.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

I've made my own 3D printed mount that has been going strong for over a year and a half now (originally made for the AS15). Printed in ABS plastic it's strong as hell. If anyone has access to a 3D printer I have the files available for free download at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:394641

It wouldn't take much tweaking to fit a G3.
  • Like 1

How in the world could you have virus scanned a card formatted in camera? The computer would always report an error if you format in camera, take it out of the camera, and do a virus scan.

Rule 1, always, forever and ever, is to format your card in whatever camera/OS you're working with.

Rule 2, ALWAYS, ALWAYS expect that any card you send to anyone, anywhere, will be wiped clean. ALWAYS.
Further, the Panasonic cards are made by a low-grade jobber. It's like putting crap gas in a Formula 1 car.

It's great they replaced the the main board (which is pretty much par for any repair on any camera whether it needs it or not), but to expect any electronics company anywhere in any industry to clean/clear a card and send it back as such, is a risk that a single search on the web, or any rational person could have explained is just plain foolish.

A likely reason the card had issues is that you likely formatted it in a Mac vs in-camera, yes? Again, most any video-savvy person can quickly explain why formatting of cards is crippled due to the Mac OS and file size limitations. This is also why you must use a SDXC 64GB card for PRO files and for most large string video in POV cameras, and it must be formatted XFAT.

DSE

How in the world could you have virus scanned a card formatted in camera? The computer would always report an error if you format in camera, take it out of the camera, and do a virus scan.

Rule 1, always, forever and ever, is to format your card in whatever camera/OS you're working with.

Rule 2, ALWAYS, ALWAYS expect that any card you send to anyone, anywhere, will be wiped clean. ALWAYS.
Further, the Panasonic cards are made by a low-grade jobber. It's like putting crap gas in a Formula 1 car.

It's great they replaced the the main board (which is pretty much par for any repair on any camera whether it needs it or not), but to expect any electronics company anywhere in any industry to clean/clear a card and send it back as such, is a risk that a single search on the web, or any rational person could have explained is just plain foolish.

A likely reason the card had issues is that you likely formatted it in a Mac vs in-camera, yes? Again, most any video-savvy person can quickly explain why formatting of cards is crippled due to the Mac OS and file size limitations. This is also why you must use a SDXC 64GB card for PRO files and for most large string video in POV cameras, and it must be formatted XFAT.

I scanned the card on my pc before formatting in the Sony cam.
I was wrong, it was a samsung, not panasonic card.
it was a sdxc 64gig class 10 card. I do not own a Mac
I did save the files before I sent the card off.
The rep at Sony specifically asked me to send in the card so they could recover the files. I really appreciate your help, anything else you can think of?
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121