padraigbrowne

New action cam model from Sony , AS100V

DSE

...IMO, pull the lens protector off the housing, and/or come up with another way to cover it. Also IMO, add an ND filter to it for even better image (same comment for most cameras)

What is the reason? I suppose that you did this yourself already. Do you have any pics?
dudeist skydiver #42

For tandem work, I find lenses get knocked around, and small format cameras seem to be knocked around more than larger cameras. That may merely be my perspective.

The Neutral Density filter allows for a slower shutter speed, thus providing smoother, more natural motion in the video image. It's a good thing to do on all POV cameras in outdoor settings. It'll hose your camera for inside-aircraft shots, however.

I use an ND gel for most of my POV work, but have looked at some adapters that a couple of companies are making for the GoPro, as I'd like to see them fit on the Sony AS series.

DSE

This system could replace the standard hypeye/CS series camera for tandems

Video and audio quality seem fantastic, but the need to break open the camera after every jump for exchange of media is enough hassle to push me toward another camera. This is why I can't see myself using it as a work camera on a busy DZ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvfaZKiQJeU&t=2m8s

Are there any fast/affordable/reliable answers to this bottleneck of footage transfer from camera to PC?

Chris

My understanding with this little camera is that when using IS ("SteadyShot") - it automatically reduces actual output resultant (on the final viewable/usable product) FOV because it removes judder/edge distortion by effectively cropping the original FOV of the image it captured "in camera", and before imprinting to the memory card. So actual FOV result might not be what is expected, when StableShot is turned on. What is your experience with this Douglas?

Apologies if you addressed this in your fuller review, as I've also just not read that yet, but still did want to ask the question while I was thinking of it. At my age, my brain is like a sieve. :P

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

It does crop the image, like any other stab system will. This is why gyros are superior. Couple a gyro with internal stab, and it's bliss.

However, the imager also oversamples. No pixels are harmed nor killed in the processing of a smooth image. Sharpness is *always* reduced with stab systems, but resolution is not. In post, resolution is always lost, because in post you're only working with the existing pixels, not pixels coming from over/edge sample.
FOV does suffer from minor issues when using Steadyshot, but that's also why Sony limits its use to only one FOV (JVC is the same).

darklow

1) Using Cookie Actioncam Sleeve - perfectly fits AS30, but a bit too large for AS100 model, however with small adjustment i made it fit perfectly. http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/sony-action-cam-sleeve.
PROS: very slim fit, close to helmet.
CONS: a little too large for AS100 model, small adjustments needed
Best solution on my opinion

Is it possible to ask what modifications you made? I have the sleeve and AS100 and am wondering how to modify it.

I decided to make my own mount for the Sony AS100v.
it was really pretty easy to do. If anyone wants the template feel free to send me a PM, I still need to scan the template into the digital world so it might a be a day or two before I can send it. The mount is super low profile, minimalizing the snag hazards and its also adjustable up/down. I am shooting with Image Stabilization ON (120)fov and you cannot see the helmet lense in the video at all. I have not tried it in (170)fov, but you can move the camera forward on the mount quite a bit.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

If you have an unsteady mount, then jello will happen. for example, on any helmet that has a chin strap vs a tight chincup, I'd always expect jello.
I'd also always expect it on a full-face that isn't really jammed against the chin.

kiwiscantfly

Hey Jeremy, wondering what the image quality is like for you? I've been using mine for a couple weeks top mounted on a rawa helmet with a cookie flatlock and it seems to be whenever I have the stab turned on I get "jello" happening in the background.

My helmet is super tight, I have a big ass chin also that helps stabilize the helmet. When I pan fairly fast I do get the jello effect you are experiencing. I'm not much of a camera flier, but I'm working on getting better. What I've noticed is if I slow down my head movments the jello effect isn't as obvious. I've only done a handful of jumps with this set up and am still learning a lot about it. I really wish the camera offered the 120fov without the stabilization as well.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Also noticed jello with a very tight Bonehead Flattop. Watching from plane door towards ground the effect was very visible. Didn't have time to check whether switching to NTFS from PAL would make difference (thinking if the camera/firmware is more 'tuned' to 60 fps). Steadyshot was on. Need to check without steadyshot...

so hows the low light video on the AS100? i did read your informative article spot, but im curious how the AS100 compares? obviously not in pitch black settings, but just after dawn is mainly when i have missed out on some of the most significant and beautiful base jumps because i own a hero1.......video is always pitch black
gravity brings me down.........

kiwiscantfly

Hi Spot, I'm using a Rawa vison with a tight chin cup, when I turn the stabilization off its fine and the gopro mounted at the same time is also fine. I like the 120 fov vs the 170 but there's no way to have that without the stabilization turned on.

I tried a crap ton of different mounting options, two different helmets (both chincup camera helmets) multiple different mounts and couldn't get it to go away completely. Just living with it at this point.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Fast

I tried a crap ton of different mounting options, two different helmets (both chincup camera helmets) multiple different mounts and couldn't get it to go away completely. Just living with it at this point.

I also experienced jello effect even in slow and stable tandem jumps and also few of my friends who are jumping in full face helmets, so no way problem is helmet.

But i think (hope) i found a solution, maybe not 100% solution, but i think i reduced jelly effect by some 90%.

I think the problem is because of housing. Put in your camera into housing and try shaking it in hand a bit. You will feel that camera is shaking inside of the housing. I think this is because of two things - 1) These side pads that holds camera ar too soft or doesn't push too hard. 2) There is quite large gap under the front side of camera.

I filled this front gap with a piece semi-hard foam plate (from some equipment packaging material, see attached photo. just make sure it is not too soft, so it actually stabilize camera) and looks like jello effect minimized significantly and few jumps it is gone completely.

Give it a try and see if it helps you. If it will, then probably i am right. If not, it might be some issue in stabilization algorithm and i am just lucky with my recent jumps.
The Earth is Art, The Photographer is only a Witness
http://adventure.lv/

This is one very possible scenario; movement in the housing. My cams all have gaff tape on them to identify them, and also have the ID sticker on the bottom, so it's very tight in the case.

I'm embarrassed I didn't stop to ask this question, it's a strong candidate for why I'm not seeing it while a few others are.

dirtbox

probably a stupid question but maybe it could work...

Could you use a Sony Multi Terminal to AV/R Adapter with a Hypeye to control a as100v (it has a multi terminal)?

Cheers

Dave

No, the Multi Terminal to AVR/D Adapter to connect this to a Hypeye, will unfortunately not work to allow the Hypeye to either control, or even provide visual status indication, unfortunately. :(

See my other thread on the subject, where Trunk of Hypeye responds directly on this. Sony's updated hard-wire access protocols have all changed 2013 forward, so that sadly, Hypeye's are no longer compatible with ANY Sony video cameras mfr 2013 or later. [:/]
coitus non circum - Moab Stone