GogglesnTeeth

New GoPro Hero 3 - Mounting suggestion - question

Ok, so I got a New Go Pro Hero 3 for Christmas....

After a couple of tries, I think I have it mounted with just the sticky tape to the center of my helmet toward the center with the slightly rounded mounting adapter.

Should I trust just the sticky mount provided or should I drill a few holes and mount it to the helmet. I would hate to jump and have the wind yank my brand new camera off my helmet on it's initial trip out the plane.

Thoughts????
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

GogglesnTeeth

Should I trust just the sticky mount provided or should I drill a few holes and mount it to the helmet. I would hate to jump and have the wind yank my brand new camera off my helmet on it's initial trip out the plane.

Thoughts????

Neither one is a good idea in my opinion. Any camera mount should have as little possibilty to snag a line or bridle as possible. That is hard to do with a GoPro, but there are special mounts available that are good (and some that are noot so good).
What helmet do you have?

Check out this Video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsEI_6cErbM
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

saxboy.......I like the setup..
What is that lense u have on your gopro??
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

First of all you need to buy a spare gopro case (or not)..:-)
Then you must order from ebay one( i suggest more..they are very cheap and you will have 2-3 to experiment with ) step up metal ring from 25mm to 55mm.
Then unscrew the original plastic lens from the case and with a dremel tool (or similar) oversize the hole to 25mm...or slightly smaller to fit tight the step up ring if you want.

After this, make the six holes to the step up ring with the help of the original plastic gopro ring..
and using the original 6 screws install the metal ring on the case..
and you will have a 55mm thread on you gopro case to install any kind of filter you want (polarized,ND,just simple UV etc.)..

Unfortunately I did it before 2-3 years and i cant found the photos during the processes.
I will upload only a photo of one spare metal ring that i had made..

Also be aware that the case will not be waterproof anymore..
unless you add a O-ring between the metal ring and the case and between the metal ring and the filter..:-)
But for skydive works perfect and adds more "live" colors on the footage.!

DSE

you can also put a piece of polarizing gel inside the lens of the GoPro case. These polarizing gels are free if you have a Rosco sample swatch. Otherwise, they're about 11.00 from a camera shop.

http://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/add-polarizing-filter-underwater-red-filter-gopro-hero-3

I am talking here for a go pro 2 not hero 3 ... :-)

it can be done with any Gopro, 1, 2, 3.
For GoPro 1/2, cutting the polarizer film/gel is the same size as a US nickel. Cut it out, drop it in, done. Before the glass/plastic bigger lens covers for the GP 3 came out, I was doing this with small round gels (not just for polarizing, but for ND as well).
http://www.polarizingfilm.com/linearpolarizingfilm.php