4 4
Hooknswoop

So, You Want to Be a Rigger?

To be a current rigger, you have to "exercise the privileges of your certificate within 90 days”. So, if you are not current, you simply pack something or supervise someone and you are current. Which, honestly, is kind of silly. It makes it so there are no real currency requirements.

Close, how about:
"Performed duties under his certificate for at least 90 days within the preceding 12 months"

14 CFR 65.129(f)(1)

--
Hook high, flare on time

The November 2003 issue of Skydiving magazine listed the following FAA Senior Rigger Courses:

9-17 January 2004, Elizabethtown, PA.Contact Dave DeWolf (717) 367-0808 or [email protected] (full)

9-18 January 2004, Kansas City, Missouri.
Contact Tom Dolphin (816) 290-5415 or [email protected]

6-15 Feb, 2004, Springfield, ?.
Contact Bob Feisthamel (417) 737-1712 or (417) 466-0037, [email protected]

25 March - 5 April 2004, Skydive Chicago, Illinois.
Contact (815) 434-6094 or [email protected]

There is also a Canadian Rigger A Course 22-27 March 2004 in Kamloops, BC.

Derek,

Almost a year after you posted this and I was just sent to it when I asked Darkwing this weekend where I should start.

Thanks for an awsome post. Is this an Article now? I had a little trouble finding it buried way in the back of the forums. It deserves to be Top on the list.

Ganja

My rigger is Al Frisby, He is a Master Rigger with over 30 years of experience, and is offering instruction in the craft of parachute rigging. Instruction includes the packing and maintenance for Seat, Chest and Back ratings.For information or appointment, call 909 675-5376 or email [email protected]

He understands that not everyone can take off work for a week or two to get their ratings so he is offering an alternative by not making it any set time schedule. Call him with any questions. He is located in Perris so if you are in So. Calif. it would be better for you.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Not knowing is not a sign of weakness, not asking is.

The first step to learning is the phrase, "I don't know."

Thanks for taking the time to write such an important and informative topic.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

CSPA Rigger A Course
Niagara Skydive Center, Dunnville, Ontario
8 - 12 November, 2004
pre-levels: B Certificate and 10 supervised repacks
CAN$400 with candidates supplying their own books and tools
deadline for registration: 1 October 2004
Course administrator: Rob Warner (aka. riggerrob)

Let's get Dave DeWolf, Tom Dolphin, ASPR, etc. to announce their winter 2005 course details here.

Does anyone know if non-US citizens can also become accredited Senior Riggers? Ie, can a non-US citizen attend (and pass) a course conducted in the US by a DPRE, and then sit the written test with the FAA? I have heard of Canadian guys doing it, but what about people from Europe, Asia, etc.

I'm from Canada and I did. Check your aviation regulations. In the Canadian regs, it specifically mentions "FAA rigger or foreign equivalent"

Tim

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Yes! There were 3 - non U.S. citizens who graduated with me at USAPR at Eloy, Arizona. 1 - Norway, 1 - Austria and 1 - Germany. They hold all the rights and privilages of Senior or Master Rigger and those certificates are recognized by their native countries.

Chuck

I was able to get some really good ideas when I was at Rigging Innovations, on shop lay-out. I set my shop up in a rather, 'production line manner. Sewing machines in order of size and or specific application and my packing table along the opposite wall with room in between for packing squares. As for fabrication and sewing, there are basic rules to sewing that apply to the various areas of sewing. Check-out one of the sewing stores in your area. Fabric Warehouse and etc. or, your local library. About the only things that change are the materials, thread size, needle size or machine. Hope, this helps

Chuck

I make custom backpacks and outdoors gear mostly, and there isn't very much in the way
of reference work for exploring new ideas or
training new people in the shop. I am a
voracious learner and very interested in
skydiving. I tandemed once on vacation and
the bug bit me. Enthusiasm is one thing,
money another.

I'm looking for any really detailed basic
fabrication guides or good shop photos. My
day job is at a government sewing contractor
but their layout seems awful inefficient. (Believe
all you've heard about "your gear was made
by the lowest bidder.") I like to think that I
know what I am doing but that there is always
room for improvement and that I don't always
have the corner on good ideas.
thanks again

While we are on the subject of rigging courses, when are Dave DeWolf, Tom Dolphin, etc. planning their next Senior Rigger coruses?

Handsome Dave is runninghis annual course February 18 through 26 2005. There's still slots available last I talked to him. Matter of fact, I think he put an ad in the classifieds, if anyone is interested. I'll be there.B|
Patkat
gotta exercise my demons!

While we are on the subject of rigging courses, when are Dave DeWolf, Tom Dolphin, etc. planning their next Senior Rigger coruses?

This seems like a good segway.

What are the options for "rigging classes"?

I know there's Kirk at Skydive Chicago, who runs two courses a year. The next one is in November.

Is Tom Dolphin still near Kansas City? Does he schedule courses?

Does Dave deWolf schedule courses?

Anyone else I should look up?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

As of 11-23-2004, the FAA reduced the number of written questions from 305 to 118 in the question bank. On 2-17-2005 the FAA again updated the question bank without changing the number of questions in the question bank.

The questions can be found at http://av-info.faa.gov/data/airmanknowledge/rig.htm

A few questions I found interesting:

8. A44 RIG
Which of the following is privileged to perform alterations to the auxiliary canopy of a single harness dual parachute pack to be used for intentional jumping?
A) The owner of the parachute.
B) A certificated and appropriately rated master parachute rigger.
C) A certificated and appropriately rated senior parachute rigger.

22. A44 RIG
Which of the following may alter the auxiliary parachute of a single harness dual parachute pack?
A) The owner of the parachute.
B) A certificated master parachute rigger.
C) The person who intends to use the parachute.

23. A44 RIG
How many of the following may alter the auxiliary parachute of a single harness dual parachute pack?
(1) The owner of the parachute.
(2) The person who is to use the parachute.
(3) A certificated senior parachute rigger.
A) None.
B) One.
C) Two.

30. A44 RIG
A person who is authorized to perform alterations to parachutes must record which of the following alterations to a single harness dual parachute pack?
1. The main parachute.
2. The harness.
3. The auxiliary parachute.
4. The auxiliary parachute container.
5. The main parachute container.
A) 1, 2, 3.
B) 2, 3, 4.
C) 3, 4, 5.

55. P38 RIG
What happens to the pilot chute of a square main canopy that has fully opened?
A) It remains inflated.
B) It trails behind the main canopy.
C) It drops through the vent and hangs inside the canopy.

70. P56 RIG
Reserve closing loops are sewn together with what type stitch?
A) Straight (301).
B) Zigzag (308).
C) Bartack (392).

84. P56 RIG
What is the best ratio of pilot chute area to main canopy area for deployment speeds up to 150 knots?
A) 5%
B) 3%
C) .5%

Derek