markbdaniels

Sony NEX 5TL

Hi guys,

So I bought myself a Sony NEX 5TL :)
I am using mainly for noob photgrapy. Perhaps I will strap it to my head one day for skydiving. Hope its ok to post a non-skydive related question...

Anyway, I was hoping to do a timelapse with it. There is an awesome timelapse app which can be installed on the camera https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/usbdetail.php?eid=IS9104-NPIA09014_00-000003

Problem is, that it's "not available in my region" - South Africa.

I do not know how they can sell these cameras here without the apps being available?

Anyways, my main question is, is there an alternative I can use to take a timelapse? According to Sony there is not >:([:/]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 5 Dec 2013 16:39
Subject: RE: Product Assistance - Sony NEX 5TL - Mark - Daniels [ ref:_00D90XxjZ._50090Fu9RU:ref ]
To: "Mark Daniels"
Cc: "Info, SSA"

Hi Mark,

I have checked with our marketing and technical support services departments and unfortunately there is no alternative method.

Regards

Dean

Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 05:25 PM
To: De Valle, Dean
Cc: Info, SSA
Subject: Re: Product Assistance - Sony NEX 5TL - Mark - Daniels [ ref:_00D90XxjZ._50090Fu9RU:ref ]

Hi Dean,

Thanks to you/Thomas/Sony for getting back to me. I really love the camera so do not want to return it.

Would you be able to suggest alternative method to taking a timelapse that will work with my Sony NEX 5?

Mark

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM, De Valle, Dean wrote:
Dear Mark,

I apologize again for the inconvenience caused due to the time lapse application not being available.

If you choose to return the product to the dealer of purchase, please let me know should you need any assistance and I will explain to the dealer.

Regards

Dean de Valle
Contact Centre | Customer support Division
Tel. +27 11 690 3555
Sony South Africa
mailto:[email protected]
www.sony.co.za
Operating Hrs: Monday to Friday 8:00am - 17:00pm

Thats the first thing I tried ;)

1. I first registered an account with my primary email address, and said I was from SA. As soon as I did that they kicked me out with the region error. I was unable to login after that (even to change my region) as the site would kick me out straight away.

2. I then thought I would be clever and use my work email, and say that I am from the UK. All good, it did not kick me out.
I attempted to topup my wallet with my credit card. The transaction failed immediately. Dam they must be validating the billing address.

3. Now I am thinking I am more clever than these guys... I will just topup the 'wallet' with my pay-pal - that way they do not see my billing address on my CC. I do that, the payment goes through - sweet B|, but wait, a few seconds later I get a notification from my bank that it has been reversed. They must be doing some validation on my pay-pal [:/]

Lots of googling later, someone suggests that I find a USA address, and create a pay-pal account with the US address. Have not tried that yet but...

Sony really do not want timelapse of African sunsets.

I briefly googles IR too, but started reading about electrical hack jobs required and gave up...:|