Rdutch

Javelin Student conainer blamed on students death!

By all accounts the part of the harness is right according to sun paths web site. although there are diffrences in the number of jumps the guy had made and what witness saw.

Leave it to the news and wuffos to make our sport sound bad.

I mean yes we have deaths but you can get killed just as easily playing football or hockey.

I think think the hardware has some if not all complicity in this case. A bad batch of MS-22040's with sharp edges (due to not being tumbled long enough) is all it would take over a period of time. The hardware adjustment point is wrapped with a fabric/ velcro cover to protect and secure the junction, so if it were left on certain size setting for a long period with multple jumps on it it would go unnoticed. Why anyone didn't check the adjustor during the normal course of a gear student inspection prior to each jump is a mystery.

Mick.

Really? I was told it was a pre-Sunpath Jav.

From the article:

This is extremely rare, so we're anxious to find out what happened,'' said Fred Whitsitt, a manager at Skydive Miami...
This is gear made in 2001, so we're very anxious for the experts to tell us if there was a problem, because there should never be a problem with gear that is that new.

skydive miami is located in homestead, FL which is actually aways from the ocean so I doubt sand would be too much of a factor. salt air and overall humidity could have definetely played a role.

Does anyone know of any ill efects on gear of a dropzone being too close to a giant swamp?

skydive miami is located in homestead, FL which is actually aways from the ocean so I doubt sand would
be too much of a factor.

All of FL is sand....unless its water.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

upon inspection, the rigger here has grounded one of our student rigs, and 2 rigs owned by experienced jumpers. In all cases, there were clear beginnings of harness wear, at the site where the hardware made contact.

My rig was one of those grounded. DOM was March 94. Betsy, Kirk and Para Conepts did a fantastic job of tracking me down during the week in concern for my safety!

As Betsy mentioned, it did have some wear on it - I put over 400 jumps on that rig since I purchased it used. I also had the lift web tacked down since it used to slip on harder deployments. Upon a typical inspection you could not see the wear since it happened underneath the webbing - if this SB had not come out, I doubt I would have discovered this.