Rover

Photo the photo, video the video

I do a skydive today and put some photos up on the screen to find some dickhead taking photos of the photos I have taken. (It's a cessna op with handcam which I take on every load with the option to buy)
I tell him that it's theft and ask that he deletes the photos. He says there is no signage to say he can't. I Reply WTF ,it's common f**king sense.
Any way it's becoming more and more prevalent. What do you guys do?
Vent over >:(
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

We have a few LCD screens up on a wall for showing spec photo/videos. In front of those screens we have a glass counter with DZ T-shirts, hats, shot glasses, etc to sell. Behind the counter is a staff member who sells the goods and shows the specs. He or she has a remote control used to start/stop videos on the screen. That person is also there to monitor the area, making sure customers aren't taking pics of the screens.

Most all customers end up at this glass counter, because that's where Skydiving Accomplishment certificates are delivered, and questions are answered about scheduling more jumps. So it's worthwhile to have someone there selling stuff and showing videos.

Chris

Besides skydiving I am a professional photographer, went to school for it and everything lol. Truth is if you post your work in a public place and (yeah he was right) there is nothing saying not to take photos there is not much you can do as long as they are not trying to make money off them. Even if you tell them not to and they do it anyway there is not much you can do. Turn off the monitor, take down the photos... Never try to take the camera away from them or physically force them to delete them. Do that and you will be taking a ton of photos to pay them after they sue you. © is KEY! Copyright is implied in all media but tagging it that way helps too. Take solace in that fact all he will have is a crappy photo of a photo he cant do much with. Sounds like the best thing you can do here is put a big heavy watermark on them and put up a sign, that's the only weapon we have in this fight. Or put something in the waiver saying if they take photos of the photos they are choosing to buy them this is a more drastic step but I have been to art shows that do something like this.

parachutist

***If it's a real problem, tape a small piece of paper (a sign) onto the screen that states the copyright of the media. It will act as a water mark and deter further incidents.

I like this idea. Gonna try it out locally.

Something like this printed and taped to your monitor...
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Anytime I see such watermarks, I think that
a) they are very unprofessional and "amateur like"
b) they give a negative image of the person/company using them

2013, true pro photographers use watermarks quite seldom. Especially the kind that states "this photo was stolen"

Personally I would rather just accept the fact that someone might take a photo of a display screen. Its gonna be almost useless anyways.

parachutist

We have a few LCD screens up on a wall for showing spec photo/videos. In front of those screens we have a glass counter with DZ T-shirts, hats, shot glasses, etc to sell. Behind the counter is a staff member who sells the goods and shows the specs. He or she has a remote control used to start/stop videos on the screen. That person is also there to monitor the area, making sure customers aren't taking pics of the screens.

Most all customers end up at this glass counter, because that's where Skydiving Accomplishment certificates are delivered, and questions are answered about scheduling more jumps. So it's worthwhile to have someone there selling stuff and showing videos.

Chris

We have a gal who does this for us as well. Anyway, she is on a dance team with my daughter. We go to competitions and they have spec pics to sell of the competitors on stage. I busted her snapping secret screen shots with her phone! Hahaha. I try to buy em if I can...support the industry I guess.

Quite often I see family/friends of the person I show a video for film or photograph the screen when their DVD is running. Sometimes with 'good' cameras too, not just cellphones...
I'm always like, :S, you already *bought* the DVD + photo package, when you get home you can make all the copies you want for your friends!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

sky490

I don't see the big deal. The photo they take is so degraded it's only good for Facebook

The big deal is they didn't pay the photographer or the owner of the photo. [:/]

If you're a carpet installer who lays carpet for me and I don't pay you, is that a big deal?
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

hypoxic_fool

could you just not record the jump unless they request it? or do you record every single jump for some other reason?

Some people will not want to buy at first then after they see it they do. Its not much extra work and is you sell one more video a week because of it all the better.

Its the same reason some photographers will do a free sitting and maybe a free 8x10. If you have open time slots and have nothing to do might as well be doing something. Most people wont buy anything more then that one free photo but if a few people do a week its worth it.