Grumpy

Contour Software

I went to the Contour site yesterday to download the user guide and the software for configuring the camera.
The links seem to be broken now so I dug around and found copies on the interweb.
I've put them in my Dropbox in case anyone else needs them. You should be able to access even if you don't have a Dropbox account.

Cheers.
Dave

User guide - Contour Roam 2
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31394473/Contour/Contour_ROAM2%20manual.pdf

Storyteller for Mac
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31394473/Contour/Contour-Storyteller-Installer.dmg

Storyteller for PC
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31394473/Contour/Contour-Storyteller-Installer.exe

How To Upgrade ROAM1 into ROAM2.. I was having trouble just recently with my Contour Roam Ver 1 (model 1600) FW version 1.1 It started getting a error and would stop recording in the middle of a record. Turn it on and it would just beep. Card (16GB) only half full so ended up having to reset a few times to trick it into working and was going to just get a new one cheap online so I figured I might as well play with this one some. Looking online I ran across this firmware upgrade and after reading a bit more decided what the hell. It was super easy and the below steps worked. Be sure to reformat the card while in the camera after the Firmware update. I now see all the extra lighting features (though it still sucks in low light so I should play with that some more) and I have Action HD which is 720p at 60fps which was not in the Roam 1 Software. Storyteller will see it as a Contour 2 Roam.

If you would like to Upgrade your FW to 2.16, which is the one the Contour ROAM2 uses (it includes 60fps recording and many more upgrades), here are the steps.

*Go to the contour homepage and download the current Contour2 Firmware V2.16

*Download Firmware V2.16 -> you get the file "ContourRoam2.bin"

*Rename the file to "ContourRoam.bin"

*Plug the ContourROAM1 camera into your computer using a USB cable. Check to see that the Record slider is not in the forward (or ON) position. Once connected, the Battery LED on the ContourROAM1 will turn red and the camera will appear as an external USB device on your computer.

*On your computer, navigate to the camera which is mounted as an external storage device.

*Copy the ContourROAM.bin file that you downloaded and renamed in Step 2 to the camera's microSD card. Do not put it in any subfolders on the camera's microSD card.

*On the microSD card of the camera will be a file called FW_RTC.txt. The file may be hidden and you may need to enable the ability to view hidden files in your computer's settings. Open the FW_RTC.txt file with a text editor application.

*Near the top of the file is a line of text that reads `UPDATE_FW:N'. Change the `N' to a `Y' so it appears as `UPDATE_FW:Y' and save the file. This will instruct your camera to update the firmware when it next starts up.

*Unplug the camera from your computer.

*Press and release the Status Button. The camera will beep and the Memory and Battery LEDs will flash while the update is in progress. When the update is completed the camera will beep again and turn off.

*If the camera keeps beeping after pressing the Status Button, just format the SD Card once again, holding the format button with a clip for 15 seconds.

*That's it, now you have all Roam2 functions on your Roam1 including 720p with 60 FPS.

*If you want, open the StoryTeller App on your PC and check if a Contour Roam2 will be recognized under "Devices".

Worked great so if any of you are using the Roam, this might be something to look at doing.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Pablo.Moreno

DO you know if the lighting is also improved by this?? or that has to be with the type of hardware the camera has

Reading boards, the low light capabilities of the camera are not great. There are people that noted it was worse with the V2.16 firmware for the Roam 2 compared to the Roam 1 Firmware. A Contour employee replied that it was designed for use in daylight.

That said you have a good number of adjustments you can do and there are a number of pre installed settings you can pull from. In addition to doing some manual adjustments as well

AutoWhiteBalance(AWB)
(0)AUTO
(1)2800K_Incandescent
(2)4000K_Flourescent
(3)5000K_DaylightD50
(4)6500K_DaylightD65
(5)7500k_Cloudy
(6)9000k_Shade
(7)10000k_XenonHID

In addition to doing some manual adjustments as well including Contrast, Sharpness and Exposure.

Big long thread on another forum talking about pros/cons, how to do it and in general lots of chatter...
Chat board on Firmware update

Hope that helps some..

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"