grue

GoPro Hero3+ announced. 1080p120, 720p240

I believe under the covers you are going to still see the a7 processor but with a better heat sink design and better power handling. Doubt you'll be seeing as much thermal issues as with the Hero3. The K20 processor used for handing the wifi tasks is now something different and has balls. The power supervisor was hopefully upgraded and get rid of the power cycle twitches. The new mic on top gives better audio. The battery has been increased to 1500mah. And the lens is newer optics than the past hero3 black.

Their Superview Mode is a method which uses the full 4:3 sensor, and then uses an algorithm to pulls and squeeze and somehow not make it look distorted. We'll see...

The color calibrations where really worked upon as well as the dynamic range in low light.

Out of the box you are going to see a better wifi experience, a box that is easier to use with bigger push buttons, and a good change with battery life.

I'm surprised that they gave the silver 1080p60 but I guess that is to keep it competitive with the market place.

-Trunk
(PS Gopro's last rev fixed most of the major issues with the HERO3 firmware)
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Must of been a typo that you saw 1080p120.

The cameras themselves are exactly the same size. The housing is different. The buttons are easier to press, the case is tighter fit and all the existing bacpacs will still work with a new bacpac back ($14 accessory).
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

trunk

Must of been a typo that you saw 1080p120.

The cameras themselves are exactly the same size. The housing is different. The buttons are easier to press, the case is tighter fit and all the existing bacpacs will still work with a new bacpac back ($14 accessory).

New case makes a huge difference to me, actually. I can't fit a GoPro 3 in the mount on my helmet without hacking up the mount as I learned last night, but if the case is a little bit narrower I might be able to. Basically the WiFi button makes it a bit too wide I'll still dremel the thing if I have to, but I'd rather not since the whole point is it being a low-snag mount.
cavete terrae.

My favorite part if announcements like this is the wave of perfectly good older gen units that you can by for way cheaper as people unload them to get the new hotness. I just got a hero2 never jumped for less than half what these new ones are going for. Even included a 32GB Sd card.

FataMorgana

20% smaller.

I believe that it is a new waterproof casing that is smaller.
Very tight fitB|.

Yes, it's the housing that's smaller (20% overall smaller package) but the "naked" camera is the same body.
it's great the camera is staying the same for this gen.

It sucks that it took GoPro so long to fix the bugs. I personally just learned to work around them and still got a lot of pics and videos but with the newest firmware update all the problems went away.

Wi-fi has always been prohibitive though because of how much battery it sucks down. Being able to adjust the cameras settings with a smart phone app is awesome but I got in the habit of turning wi-fi off immediately after using it.

I'll probably still try to conserve battery life with the 3+ since I'll be using duel GoPro's, the other one being a Hero 3. I'll still use my Hero 1 for simple things like interviews and landings if it's convenient so I definitely understand people buying the marked down models.

...Don't Get Elimated!!

Better off waiting until the Hero 4 comes out. This Hero 3+ is just like an iPhone 5S compared to an iPhone 5, only a slight upgrade.

Hero 4 will be running 4k 30fps, 1080p 120fps, 720p 240fps, 12MP stills and 700MP overmulti-exposure HDR, Wi-Fi and electronic image stabilisation. Using the better A9 chip which is 32nm thick instead of the current A7 chip in Hero 3's which is 45nm thick. That means a decent drop in power consumption and less heat buildup.

No idea, but if everything aligns with the leaked specs and details coming out then probably a few months, maybe around christmas? Personally I think the 3+ was just a quick money grab before the next lineup coming out. GoPro hasn't really had a history of hyping up new products far in advance to release, 3+ was a perfect example. It just kind of appeared one day...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6652/ambarella-announces-a9-camera-soc-successor-to-the-a7-in-gopro-hero-3-black

There hasn't been an official GoPro release of specs yet, but the leaked details say it's very likely. At this point they'd be stupid not to use it if they want any reasonable upgrade from the 3 and 3+