jimmurt

Canon EOS 300D

I've got a lend of one of these from a relative who wasn't using it.

I've read through the manual and havn't found any info on how to set the camera to take shots every x number of seconds. Is it spossible with this camera?

The other option is that the manual says there is a connection on the side for a Remote Switch RS-60E3.
Will this connection take a standard bite switch directly?

Lastly, has anyone used this camera for stills and how did they find it.

Thanks.

That is the original rebel, I put a few hundred jumps on mine. The picture quality is great, especially with a nice lens (I like the 10-22) all though many have had success with the kit lens. It will accept a standard bite switch in the mini jack on the side of the camera, sorry no timed shooting like a go pro.

The are a few minor downsides to that first generation dslr. It is a lot bigger and heavier than newer offerings from cannon, even the rebel xt which is 8 or so years old by now and can be found for pennies on the dollar and is roughly half the size of the 300. It also has a small buffer that takes a loooong time to clear. The first four shots happen pretty quickly, but then the waiting begins. After the first burst I seem to recall it being 1-3 seconds before you could take the next shot.

Free is free, and the quality of the pictures is excellent. The slow buffer and big physical size are a drag, but not impossible to get past. If I were shooting tandems professionally I'd look for another camera, but if your looking to build your first camera rig on the cheap and upgrade later, that's a fine place to start.

Oh, and if the cameras been sitting for a while be prepared to buy some new batteries for it.

Oh .....Bite Switch on a Canon ..... That reminds me, when I was using my 400D with a bite switch .. it 'occasionally' locked up (solid) and I had to REMOVE the battery to reset it .... not sure if that happens in the 300 as well....

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Yes, the 300D was known for error99, ie complete lockup that can only be solved with removing the battery.

This error seemed to have several causes, most likely a loose contact between the camera body and the battery, CF card, switch or lens. Some lenses (some sigma lensen) seemed to cause a lot of errors, some type of jumps did too (Hercules type airplanes, higher altitude).

Other than the above, it's a good camera for jumping. Not sure i'd depend on it for paid work (tandems etc) though.

ciel bleu,
Saskia