evan85

Fullface (G3) cutaway idea from Brian Germain

Need to test it under tension.

The only issue with the G3 is the chin material is an inherit hook so even unclipping does not remove this snag. With that said, I've personally been able to push off my G3 with it clipped under tension with force from vertical and ~25degrees without unclipping anything. Your results may vary.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

I agree with Trunk. It needs to be tested under tension. I have been playing with several ideas on a cutaway for the G2/G3. The method Brian posted is one my brother has been making for the sea kayak industry for many years. But the tolerances are tight to make sure it works in all conditions. I guess something that might work is better than nothing at all, until you rely on it and it doesn't work. I decided the liability wasn't worth the effort.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

All makes sense to me. I keep my G3 pretty tight; I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull it off without getting rid of some tension somewhere. I also agree that Brian's video doesn't really reflect what a fastex buckle does under tension.

That said, something is better than nothing, especially for all the folks (may be me soon) that put a gopro on their G3 whether they have a cutaway or not. I assume that's what you meant by "the liability"--the adding of a camera? If not, what other liability does Brian's cord introduce in and of itself? It seems to me that it's a pretty harmless thing to add, and can't really make anything any worse (other than perhaps a false sense of security).

Monkey, if you come up with a good cutaway for the G3 I'll be your first customer :)

Skybear

Cookie now offers a GoPro-Mount which is snag-proof. Nothing bad about a cut-away but eliminating the hazard might proof best.

I agree with that. However, that gopro mount is (a) expensive, and (b) requires drilling holes in my helmet. Really my biggest issue is (b) -- I'm not sure I like the idea of drilling holes. That said, I know the big piece comes out and leaves only the base there, so maybe something I should look into a little more

evan85

***Cookie now offers a GoPro-Mount which is snag-proof. Nothing bad about a cut-away but eliminating the hazard might proof best.

I agree with that. However, that gopro mount is (a) expensive, and (b) requires drilling holes in my helmet. Really my biggest issue is (b) -- I'm not sure I like the idea of drilling holes. That said, I know the big piece comes out and leaves only the base there, so maybe something I should look into a little more

Nowhere near as expensive as a hospital stay (or worse) because your lines got caught up on a helmet camera mounted on a helmet not designed for cameras, during an unstable or poorly packed deployment.

To the previous poster, there is no "snag proof" from anyone. There are significantly reduced risks, but nothing is snag proofed.

DSE

Nowhere near as expensive as a hospital stay (or worse) because your lines got caught up on a helmet camera mounted on a helmet not designed for cameras, during an unstable or poorly packed deployment.

To the previous poster, there is no "snag proof" from anyone. There are significantly reduced risks, but nothing is snag proofed.

You're right. I actually looked into it a bit more and ordered one. I certainly know it's not "snag-proof" but it's certainly far less snag hazard than just slapping a sticky gopro mount on the top of the G3.

evan85

***Cookie now offers a GoPro-Mount which is snag-proof. Nothing bad about a cut-away but eliminating the hazard might proof best.

You could always use Square 1s "snag resistant" mount and stick it on with the same 3M double sided tape Gopro use for their mounts like this....(see attached).
Reduces the risk of a snag, no drill holes needed and is stable and secure as all hell.
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

jono

******Cookie now offers a GoPro-Mount which is snag-proof. Nothing bad about a cut-away but eliminating the hazard might proof best.

You could always use Square 1s "snag resistant" mount and stick it on with the same 3M double sided tape Gopro use for their mounts like this....(see attached).
Reduces the risk of a snag, no drill holes needed and is stable and secure as all hell.

I used the "supervelcro" instead.
Because of that I can move the mount and camera to my other helmet.

Wouldn't that be possible (or stickytape only) with the cookiemount?

Hellis

I think it would. That being said, the more I thought about it, plus the fact that you can remove the big part of the mount and just have the base part stay on the helmet, I don't think it's a big deal. I'll just drill the holes and do it the way Cookie says is best. I'm not planning on changing my setup, getting a different form factor camera, or anything like that anytime soon.

Hellis

Maybe. I was a bit worried about the shorter surface area from front to back to ensure a strong enough bond.
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

jono

Maybe. I was a bit worried about the shorter surface area from front to back to ensure a strong enough bond.

I have not seen the cookiemount.
I only seen the helmet with the mount attached, but not the mount as it's sold seperatly.
How big is the surfacearea

Skybear, Cookie? Is that a company? I have a Z-1 and am looking at adding a camera (finally). I fly a smaller canopy (120 and a 136 Samurai) and would like to find a camera that I can use. Can you let me know what Cookie is? Thank you and have a great day.
Patrick
Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

Hellis

Haven't seen one up close but from pictures, it looks too small for me to be comfortable with just sticking it on.

jono

Haven't seen one up close but from pictures, it looks too small for me to be comfortable with just sticking it on.

Looks like it's bigger than the original GoPromount that everyone else uses stickytape on.
I think it would work just fine

wetrock

cookie manual

if you use stick it on with tape make sure the mount matches the surface of your helmet precisely. its just 2 small holes i would drill first and ask questions later.

I have one. The mount matches the G3 exactly, but the bottom surface is not smooth -- it's hollowed out in some places to make it lighter (because it's aluminum, not plastic). This makes the tape idea much less appealing. I drilled the holes and don't regret it. You can easily remove all but the small mount piece for tunnel use, etc.

evan85

Just came across this. What are folks thoughts on this idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuqJV3eRH0g

Personally I don't think people should be putting cameras on full face helmets. Having a cutaway on an open face means that as soon as you cutaway the helmet will clear. This isn't necessarily true on a full face, even with a cutaway.

Use the right tool for the job! If you want a full face great, forfeit the camera. If camera is important, go with an open face with a cutaway system, people like 2k do really affordable open face helmets with a cutaway.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

evan85

You can easily remove all but the small mount piece for tunnel use, etc.

Has anyone had any trouble/comments with showing up to fly in a tunnel with just the base plate attached? Would hate to drill holes and bolt it on only to find I couldn't use it in the tunnel.

Very interesting stuff. While the majority of cameras on G3's are action cams... some of the top teams at Nationals had camera guys running G3's with twin Sony's on top. Having a good cutaway system seems critical if this trend of G3's being outside camera setups continues.

I like the idea of a full face setup, and something that is super light weight. I had a few concerns (cutaway being the big one), but it seems to be a viable setup. Well, at least good enough to win gold in Open class.

jono

*** You can easily remove all but the small mount piece for tunnel use, etc.

Has anyone had any trouble/comments with showing up to fly in a tunnel with just the base plate attached? Would hate to drill holes and bolt it on only to find I couldn't use it in the tunnel.

I did an hour in the tunnel this past week--included HD on the net--with the base plate on. No problems, just a couple extra pieces of tape over the base plate (in addition to the tape keeping the top of my helmet pretty and free of scratches ;)) to make sure nothing caught on the net.