feuergnom

ringsight outdated?

davelepka

Shooting lens at a larger focal length in my experience is usually worthless with the "dot on the goggles" method

HOWEVER, if you're not shooting for those distances, and not doing anything but tandems/students, or low-pressure fun jumps, there's no need for a ringsight. Truth be told, digital photography and photoshop have made it so you can even compensate for centering problems by just getting further back, and than cropping the photo as needed on a bigger RW jumps.

Good point. I guess the most sure way to not need a ring sight is to just not jump a camera at all. I hear CGI is pretty good these days too. ;)

I'm hardly saying that quality shots CAN'T be taken without a ring sight--I have a feeling we're talking about slightly different things here.

Shooting with any actioncam with a 180 degree fish-eye lens, for sure a ringsight is far from needed. But go to tighter lenses, and it becomes virtually impossible, even with a dot on a goggle.

For me, shots like these 50 mm (essentially 80mm due to crop factor on 600d) would be impossible in terms of aim without a ringsight..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I think that most of those that refuse to wear a ring sight and refuse the wear wings when filming, will have mediocre product.

I see too many 'cool guys' that don't want to wear wings or a ring sight because somehow it is less cool, or you are less experienced if you need these... then I look at their videos and photos and mostly I see the frame dropping and poor range in flight especially with light passengers.

I then look at the best in the industry and they use ring sights and wings, I am talking Tandems and belly speed stuff here not vertical stuff.

You can get away with no ring sight and you can get away with no wings, but your range and precision is less.

Nothing shits me more than an excellent flyer producing crap videos and photos because they are more interested in their own free flying technique and how they look than the product that the person that is paying for their skydive is getting.

Framing is everything. If you get close up an in their face or back off and have some scenery to frame... a ring sight that is not a dot only 5mm from the lens of your eyeball is the best way to frame it.

I like my ring sight at least an inch from my eye for more precision.

westcoastSD

I like my ring sight at least an inch from my eye for more precision.

The way the optics in a concentric ringsight work, precision is unaffected by the distance you mention. Unless you are referring to your own ability to place a mark over a target being somehow improved when the mark is smaller relative to the target.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com