jmidgley

How to re-attach a bagged main...

...the right way round, without riser twists?

OK, the right way round should be easy enough...

I'm thinking of transporting my rig in two bits (see all the airtravel threads). Has anyone got any snappy ideas for ensuring that everything is re-oriented correctly when I hook the main back up?

Yes, I know I could take the main out of the d-bag and do a line check, but

There's no room to pack where I'm staying
I'd rather show up at the DZ ready to go
I'm lazy

unless your are 100%bullteproof that you konw what you are doing i wouldn't advise you to re-attach a bagged main. the possibility that you end up flying backwards is to big.

imo - go to the dz a bit earlier and get the job done under supervision of a rigger if you don't have the space to do it at home. saves trouble & increases safety
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

The right way to re-attach a bagged main is to take it out of the bag and re-pack it. really. I've jumped a backwards main, and wouldn't want to do it with today's higher-performance canopies.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

PD were at the Swedish F/F festival doing demo canopies. They had with them bags which locked the risers in place once athe bagged main was taken out of the rig, so unless you have something like this I would also recommend you pack from scratch. Not only is it possible to reverse your caopy but you could also twist a single riser round without noticing it.

PD were at the Swedish F/F festival doing demo canopies. They had with them bags which locked the risers in place once athe bagged main was taken out of the rig, so unless you have something like this I would also recommend you pack from scratch. Not only is it possible to reverse your caopy but you could also twist a single riser round without noticing it.

Uh even that doesn't work all the time here. PD hooked my demo canopy up at a boogie using the same method and you can watch the video to see what happened after that

:)

Uh even that doesn't work all the time here. PD hooked my demo canopy up at a boogie using the same method and you can watch the video to see what happened after that

hihihi... had to happen on a High hop and pop didnt it! lol
Remster

everytime i watch that i laugh (even though it's not really funny, but it actually is:P)....at least it wasn't a birdman jump:S

Edit to Add: I have not had any problems flying with my rig, and i can't actually see how it would be any different with the main out of the container...note i haven't read any of the airline threads!

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Actually, I have another question (dont kate it the wrong way Kevin).

Did you think about taking it much lower then that before cutting away? Dont want to double guess your decission, as the decision you took was the one you took, but it probably would have made finding the bag and canopy easier.....

When I had a high reserve opening (14K), the winds were not insignificant, and I lost the bag...
Remster

Actually, I have another question (dont kate it the wrong way Kevin).

Did you think about taking it much lower then that before cutting away? Dont want to double guess your decission, as the decision you took was the one you took, but it probably would have made finding the bag and canopy easier.....

When I had a high reserve opening (14K), the winds were not insignificant, and I lost the bag...

Well to answer everyone's questions:

A) it was a stilleto 120, the smallest canopy i had jumped up till then (i've done a 107 now..) while the thought did cross my mind to attempt a landing with it (i weigh 155 out the door) the landing area was muddy and I didn't want to muck up my gear :)

B) Yes it was a hop n pop but i didn't cut it away at altitude, the winds were really kicking that day and if I had cut it at altitude it would have been a state over most likely. The video was edited to cut out a bunch of the "extra" footage. I judged it perfectly, the freebag landed on one side of the runway and the main on the other.. (i'm talking the width wise of the runway not the length wise).

C) Lesson Learned: Always wear an altimiter! I wasn't wearing one because who needs to know what alititude it is when you do a hop 'n pop? I guesstimated i was around 3,000 when I cut it..

i'm lazy too but not that much: 10 minutes should be enough for hooking it up and repacking after a quick line check that might save you a stupid cutaway... you will probabely find 10 minutes between your arrival on the DZ and boarding the first load ? (maybe you can try driving faster to get there, ehehe..)
just my 0.02 euro that does not answer your question :P

It is not that hard.

Label your risers and band them together and to the bag.

No bid deal. If you doubt yourself later when you hook it up, then you can always repack, but you should have no trouble.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I've never heard of a rig being denied on an airplane because it was too big.

They get denied for other reasons... but I've never heard of one being too big.

_Am

Low budget airplanes in the UK weigh your carry on luggage , max weight 7kg (16lbs), and some can be very particular about this as well.

Yes, they were marked. It was a year ago, so details are foggy. The rigger mentioned a twist, but the risers were not twisted. However, my major point was: not taking the time to repack the main was a major bad decision.