noiro

Sony Alpha Nex-5R settings?

Hi,

If you are are using the Sony Alpha Nex-5R for still images while skydiving what settings are you using? Would be interesting to know. I am not sure what settings I will use yet. Do you have any definitly do and definitly dont settings?

Thanks!

There isnt a single photo or video camera with a magical 'skydiving' setting.
As it depends on weather, but also on what you want out of your footage.

Lots of motion blur, none. Shallow depth of field. Everything in focus. etc etc.

I think the best advice would be, take the camera out for some fun play/testing on various days on the ground. Play with various settings, mention on the shot you make what setting you use. And than afterward look at all the shots you made under various light/weather conditions and try and actually understand what works, and why.

Everyone asking about settings, would do themselves such a favour is they worked on understanding WHY and WHEN to use each setting. As unless you get more specific, its quite hard to suggest what setting to use anyways.

Side subject: Install the 'timelapse' app on your 5r. You can set it to 1 still every second, and also shoot some nice snaps during your skydives without needing to hack the camera for a biteswitch.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Thanks for your reply mccordia.

I think what I'm looking for is a basic allround setting with everything in focus. A point and shoot setting. It is pretty easy to use the camera on the ground since I have the opportunity to make all kinds of adjustments whenever I want but I'm having problem to figure out good allround setting for skydiving.

I've done some attempts with manual settings and manual focus but without success, most pictures out of focus. So I've changed to automatic settings, sport mode and automatic focus. I'm fine with that and the images. However, the problem is that the autofocus is so slow so in the exit I kind of only have one opportunity to take the exit shot. :( Anyone with suggestions? I really like the size of the camera and the bite switch camera hack took some time to make so it would be a shame to buy another camera now. :)

I modded by Sony NEX-5n with a remote switch port over a year ago. I've learned that the safest way to make sure your pictures come out throughout the jump is to put it on sports mode and set it to continuous shooting mode. You'll get one photo about 0.7 seconds. It's slow, but that's because the camera is actually adjusting the exposure and focus so pretty much all the pictures come out.

It sucks that you don't get to take advantage of the speed priority ability of the camera, however, there is one benefit that I've discovered in my opinion. I took an old bite switch, stripped the wires and twisted them together to close the circuit. When it's plugged in and I'm ready to take pictures, I just turn the camera on and it will start taking properly focused and exposed photos. I like this, because I really only freefly these days and this way I don't have a dirty bite switch in my mouth, and I don't have to keep remembering to take the shot. I just focus on my flying, and in the end I can just turn the camera off to stop taking photos.

Sure I could do the same thing with my Hero3 (now), but I really like the photo quality of the NEX and the 16mm lens. It's also more dependable, since I can feel the shutter going off through my helmet. To be honest, I don't really recommend anyone follow my route, but since you're practically almost there.. I figure why not.

Here's some NEX photos from about a year ago:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.316165238467291.74295.100002214539052&type=1&l=065733b0ea

Same as Canon 1Dx:P
There's no general gear setting either when you drive a car.
Light and action conditions similar to skydiving exist on the ground too. So to learn and practice to set up the camera first I would read its manual, read some photo books/articles, and take test shots on the ground to see the results between diffrent setting.

Laszloimage

Same as Canon 1Dx:P
There's no general gear setting either when you drive a car.
Light and action conditions similar to skydiving exist on the ground too. So to learn and practice to set up the camera first I would read its manual, read some photo books/articles, and take test shots on the ground to see the results between diffrent setting.

+1

What spice does the chef cook with? What socket does the mechanic use. Some things you have to go push a lot of buttons and waste a bunch of time ruining a whole bunch of images just to look back in time and realize none of the time was wasted at all :) Go out and play with your camera and enjoy your time doing it. Hope to see your images making their way into the public's eye soon!

"The eyes must learn to listen before they learn to see".

randyswallows.com