DougH

Flat Top Pro Setups: RRS Jaw Clamps and schumacher removable ringsites? Pictures and advice please!

I finally have a flat top pro in my possession thanks to an excellent deal in the classified that I was very lucky to get.

The camera came with the front still porch with a quick release plate setup. It also had a orange lollipop sight on the setup where the post is coming out of the front of the helmet and the sight is on a clamp that attaches to that.

I think I am going to remove the porch and top mount both the stills (Rebel XSi which has a RRS L bracket) and my CX760 which is going in a box that I got from Exit Equipment, which will then be mounted on a really right stuff universal mount so that I can swap it between this setup and my smaller helmet.

My existing helmet has the larger width 80mm RRS clamp, instead of the standard width clamps.

For those with two RRS, did you opt for two of the larger clamps, or did you go with the smaller sizes?

I also want to finally get around to using my Brent concentric ring site, and I have one of those removable ring sight brackets that is spring loaded and can turn out of the way, and almost remove all together.

When trying to mock it up it almost seems like using the post arrangement might be a cleaner install, and I guess being rear entry you really don't need a articulating removable ring sight bracket.

What is the best ring sight setup for these helmets?

Any pictures and advice would be awesome. I want to plan this out in order to avoid turning a currently nice helmet and top plate in to swiss cheese.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Thinking out loud here.

It looks like I need to have the removable mount on the side of the flat top. I found some pictures of other setups like this.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=34071;

I wonder if I could mount the bracket on the inside of the helmet so that I don't loose the smooth snag free sides of the helmet.
=P

I use RRS brackts and I went with the 80mm clamp because it had more of a footprint to mount the L Brackets on. I can put a FF and a heavy prime lens on top with the bracket only being inserted in the clame 1/2 way with no worries. Depending on what I'm jumping, I need that flexibility. The 60mm just isn't that wide but has less of a weight penalty. (No biggie)

To the end of the sight, I would HIGHLY recommend using your articulating bracket. Will a line ever get caught on those posts that protrude from the forehead? Who knows but I would hate to hear about it in another posting in this forum. The articulating brackets are great and get that ringsight out of the way under canopy. Also, it allows you to take the ringsite off any time you want and not worry about knocking it out of sight during travel. You have a good setup, take advantage of it :)
Good luck.

Randy

"The eyes must learn to listen before they learn to see".

randyswallows.com

Thanks Randy!

I am definitely going to use the articulated bracket. I saw a few ways to mount it using a search, either on the side of the helmet, or on the front of the helmet.

I am going to use two of the 80mm clamps. I already had one that I stole from my existing camera helmet, so I only had to buy one for the time being.

On your setup did you make a custom top plate, or did you go with the wider top plate from BH?

With the standard plate I am having trouble lining everything up without having one of the clamp lever arms hang over the side of the flat top. It looks way to convenient for a line to get under there and either snag, or open the clamp up enough to release an expensive (and heavy/dangerous) camera in to free-fall!

I have to email RRS and see if I can switch the orientation of the CAM arm lever.

Thanks again for the input!
=P