DrBang

Which camera/camcorder?

I'm about to purchase my camera/camcorder and accessories to start working as a videographer. I've been talking with a friend who has about 900 video jumps and he's telling me to get a Rebel XSi and and CX100.

I've seen CX100-250 or whatever...what's the difference? Something about the image stabilization not being on the newer handycams? What's wrong with the Rebel XS? Why the XSi. Is there something else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not 100% sure on the different CX models. I know the 100 is a winner because that's what I have, and I think it's the only one where the memory card loads from the side and not the bottom. So if you need to switch cards for every load and have to take your camera off to get to the bottom, maybe a used 100 (off ebay?) is the way to go. I'll let the more informed comment on the image stabilization on the other models.

For the still camera, I recently saw the new Canon SL1 in person and it is sweet. It's a 3/4 size Rebel and it uses the standard EOS lenses. If you're buying new, get one of those.

I've had good luck with the 18-55 kit lens for everyday tandem/student work. It's light weight and cheap to replace (under $100 on ebay/craigslist). It's fairly wide and will match up with a .45-ish wide angle lens on a CX video camera.

Thanks for the info. I was actually talking about the still camera when referring the memory card slot. To my understanding the Rebel XS slot is on the bottom (you have to take the camera off to get the card out) and the XSi is on the side. This could be incorrect?

You didn't really mention memory cards at all, but I do know that at some point the Rebel memory card slot did migrate to the bottom (just like the CX line, weird).

One solution is to use quick release plates to mount every thing, and just cut out enough of the QR plate on the camera to allow you to open the access door. Makes it easy to swap stuff.

I have an older Rebel with the card slot on the side, but the battery loads from the bottom. I actually cut a battery shaped hole in my helmet and liner so I can change the battery without removing the camera. The battery drops right down into the helmet, and I can just load another one nice and easy.

Along those lines, keep in mind that no store bought camera gear (helmets, mounts, etc) is going to be 100% the best option for you. Plan on doing some customization on whatever you buy to make it work the best way possible with your combination of cameras, and the work you're going to be doing.

DrBang

Thanks for the info. I was actually talking about the still camera when referring the memory card slot. To my understanding the Rebel XS slot is on the bottom (you have to take the camera off to get the card out) and the XSi is on the side. This could be incorrect?

I have the rebel t3i and it is on the side, another camera guy here has a t2i and his is on side as well.

davelepka

One solution is to use quick release plates to mount every thing, and just cut out enough of the QR plate on the camera to allow you to open the access door. Makes it easy to swap stuff.

The Really Right Stuff clamps are amazing in this department. The brackets for the Rebel still cameras are built such that they already allow access to the battery doors.

No grind, cutting, they are a super clean and well designed setup!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P