pope

PJ / CX430 BOSS users:

Sorry for the thread hijack from http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4489008#4489008, but my answer kind of diverged into a question...

garywainwright

all this was shot at the weekend by Ewan Cowie with a CX410 with no additional lens (not even a filter - notice on the last jump how the shutter closes!)

http://vimeo.com/66597489

Hi Gary;
FWIW, I'm fairly sure that wasn't the shutter closing but the "lens cover." Many Sony cameras that have this feature have a manual toggle switch that can be taped down. If I'm not mistaken, in the case of most BOSS cameras this can be completely eliminated with the use of a UV, Polarizing, or other filter (also a good idea in general with these cameras IMHO).

*****MY question(s):

I've done hundreds of jumps with both the HDR-PJ/CX760(E), with great results. My biggest criticisms are the crappy audio, which I think has been addressed in newer versions, the inability to use a wide angle lens with the stabilization feature (vignetting), and the need to pull out the viewfinder in order to get the camera working with a Hypeye. I've botched 2 videos this year because I failed to manage a slider keeper that managed to shut off PJ760 video mid free fall by pushing it back in (I don't like the idea of jumping with the LCD screen flipped outwards).

My biggest questions at this point is regarding the PJ/CX430:
Is there anyone jumping these on a day to day basis, using the Hypeye connected with the VMC-AVM1 adapter WITHOUT a wide angle lens?
If so, what are your impressions, complaints, tips etc? I'm impressed with the BOSS in ff, and thinking of using these on more of an everyday basis - and like the fact that they are smaller than the 700 series cameras.

Also: is anyone making a box for side mounting these yet? I personally run mine on top, but some of the camera flyers who I will be buying them for prefer a side mount (Various helmets).

Any comments/feedback appreciated!
cheers!
pope

Everybody is buying CX410 (Europe's 430) here in Empuria, and blowing their minds off... I think is a game changer, like when the digital minidv cams appears in the mid '90's, no more tape flutter!. Now is no more image shake!
Works fine with a filter on, hypeye and VMC-AVM1 adapter.
To use a wide angle adaptor needs the Hypeye 2011 version, or will no focus.
BOSS RULES!!!

Can anyone share some footage with a wide angle lens being used one of these boss cameras?

I have only put one jump on my CX760 with boss because I am still building my setup.

Common wisdom is that the BOSS + wide angle lens gives you a bad result, with weird distortion and vignetting from the BOSS.

I think the CX760 is plenty wide already for outside flying.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

DougH

Common wisdom is that the BOSS + wide angle lens gives you a bad result, with weird distortion and vignetting from the BOSS.

I'd have to dig up my footage, but I didn't notice distortion or vignetting, just that the steadyshot was worse than it would have been had the steadyshot been turned off.

DougH

I think the CX760 is plenty wide already for outside flying

Agreed.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

i just tried using a tiffen polorizer lens with my cx430v and the video turned out really bad then i just tried using a regular uv filter and had the same affect. What are the settings you use on yours? are you using spot focus or auto focus? i want to be able to use the uv filter to just cover the glass