jscorcia

Can I use your skydiving footage for a documentary?

Hey everyone! I'm working a documentary about how the same mindset, mentality, and lessons learned from becoming a licensed skydiver can be applied to help people become successful as entrepreneurs. I'm in need of some cool aerial footage, and would REALLY appreciate any contributions you're willing to make. You will of course be credited if your footage is used. Thanks!

-Jay

demoknite

Just go to youtube and you can find exactly what you want. Then ask the poster if you can use, though I think it becomes free to use once posted per the youtube EULA.

Not at all accurate.
Posting to YouTube does not rescind copyright, nor give anyone free access to footage for personal nor private use.

That said:
OP, you might post this in the Photo forum; it would be considered appropriate to offer a token fee at the least. If you're sending a business message, that suggests you or someone related to the project is receiving $$ for the project. Therefore, people contributing to the project should receive some sort of accommodation too.

Sounds like you're making a promo for a get rich quick scam or some other BS fluffed with motivational speaking. Documentaries usually go through a bit of effort to.. ya know.. document stuff themselves, not use random video from the internet.

skinnay

Sounds like you're making a promo for a get rich quick scam or some other BS fluffed with motivational speaking. Documentaries usually go through a bit of effort to.. ya know.. document stuff themselves, not use random video from the internet.

Sorry but what you're saying couldn't be any further from the truth. I'm a skydiver myself (100 jumps so I can't record video otherwise I'd do it myself) and I also have my own consulting firm. I'm simply looking to use 4-5 second clips of footage for the opening sequence...the rest of the video is all going to come from my own content. I'm not doing this project with the goal to make money, and there's a pretty good chance I won't make a dime with it.

" how the same mindset, mentality, and lessons learned from becoming a licensed skydiver can be applied to help people become successful as entrepreneurs"
Your idea is true! Complying with that I'm more than happy to license some aerial footage for an appropriate fee ;)

If you go to Vimeo, you can do an advanced search.
Simply append the following to your search string: &advanced=1

For example:
https://vimeo.com/search?q=skydiving&advanced=1

You can then filter videos by license type. Some videos you can use under creative commons.

More info on that here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Good article on it here:
http://socialtimes.com/vimeo-makes-creative-commons-licenses-available-to-all-users_b17281

Here's what the different licence types/filters mean you can do with them:

Attribution: You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work—and derivative works based upon it—but only if they give credit the way you request.

Share Alike: You allow others to distribute derivative works only under a license identical to the license that governs your work.

Non-Commerical: You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform your work—and derivative works based upon it—but for non-commercial purposes only.

No Derivative Works: You let others copy, distribute, display, and perform only verbatim copies of your work, not derivative works based upon it.