naughto

Canon 7D Lens selection

Hey guys was looking at upgrading from my Canon 450D to a Canon 7D for tandem/ wingsuiting photography. I am currently running a Sigma 10-20mm lens and was just wondering what other people were using for the 7D.
Anyone using a 6D for free fall photography?
Any advice or info would be awesome!
Thanks

I'm not a freefall photographer, just a landscape and wildlife one. But you're in good hands with the 10-20mm Sigma I'd think. I've handled the 7D quite a bit, and own a 50D - I've also used the 350, 450 and 550D.

Moving up to the 7D will be a nice change for you, mainly because of the more enhanced AF and better ISO handling. If you're wanting to remain at wide angle, as I'm sure you are, the Sigma 10-20mm is my lens of choice, though if one prefers barrel distortion (for the wider look) the Tokina 10-17mm is also quite popular.

It depends of your budget...
Without a good lens doesn't make sense to have a good camerabody.
Matter the fact is a 450D is a better optinon with a Canon L series lens than a 7D with a cheaper lens.
The Canon 16-35 II L f2.8 is a very good choice but it's $1400 at least.
The Canon 17-40 L f4 is a descent lens too for skydiving, and it's significantly cheaper.

What color does a painter use? What kind of chisel does a sculptor use? What kind of lens should you get? Depends on what shot you are trying to get.

If you want a lens that is good at a lot but masters none, look at the 17-40. It focuses fast and is pretty sharp. F4 isn't exactly fast but it should cover a good range of shots in the air until you figure out what angles you enjoy shooting. Hell, you might stick with it even if you go to a full frame.

There is really no simple answer to what lens one "should" get but if there was one all around piece of glass for the sky, that would be one of them I would recommend :)

"The eyes must learn to listen before they learn to see".

randyswallows.com

A couple of thoughts.

First, in my opinion, the lens matters more than the body (at least in terms of "if it's a close call, a slightly better lens does more than a slightly nicer body").

Second, why are you upgrading from a 450D (XSi) to a 7D? (I mean, what's the reason for that particular camera?) I have a 5D, Mark II that is about the same weight (~860 grams) as the 7D. It's darn heavy. Well balanced, it's OK, but... Have you looked at something lighter and far cheaper like a T2i? Even though I have a 5D, Mark II, I prefer jumping with my T2i... The 7D has a nice burst rate, but it's a cropped sensor, and in my opinion not in the same league as the 6D.

As for lenses, I agree it depends on what you're going to use it for. I had a Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM. I liked that a lot. Then I got a Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM. I like that a lot more. A Sigma 10-20 is perfectly serviceable, but this goes back to my question of "do you want to put your dollars/euros toward good glass, or toward a good box?"
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork