shibu

What is the largest camera jumped?

What is the largest camera currently jumped?

I remember when I did my first tandem, my video guy had a 35mm alongside a video cam mounted on a metal plate.

I saw a video of Norman Kent (see attached pic) jumping a huge Cam setup for an HTC commercial.

My question is what is the largest camera currently jumped? Professional or otherwise.

I think many people have jumped the various RED's over the last few years.

But in terms of biggest setups, I think Joe Jennings (who regularly jumps a RED as well) jumping the belly mounted IMAX camera, the size of a small fridge for the Wild California IMAX feature, is probably the hands-down winner.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

mccordia

I think many people have jumped the various RED's over the last few years.

But in terms of biggest setups, I think Joe Jennings (who regularly jumps a RED as well) jumping the belly mounted IMAX camera, the size of a small fridge for the Wild California IMAX feature, is probably the hands-down winner.

RED is huge.
Thanks.

One more question. What are REDs? I tried searching .

Superfletch

http://www.red.com/store/cameras

RED is an insanely expensive camera. :D

If you believe some of the photography magazines, it is what we're all going to be using to shoot stills with due to being able ti capture high res stills from the video.

If you're everyone else it costs as much as a car.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It's not really that expensive for what it is - the RED is a competitor to actual 35mm movie cameras, they can cost hundreds of thousands (and then there is the film as well) - and other formats like HDCAM.

e.g. Sony HDCAM SR camera, for $62,000 (lens sold seperately):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/661909-REG/Sony_SRW_9000_SRW_9000_HDCAM_SR_Camcorder.html

Seeing how some people always go for the 'cheap' GoPro, but by now are onto their 4th one due to upgrades and loosing the odd camera, I think expensive is also a relative term:P

But quality wise, these expensive cameras also shoot in a range where most consumer cameras/DSLRs dont even come close to.

Compression wise they shoot in a format similar to RAW on photo cameras. And they often shoot higher framerates and higher resolutions (playing with 5K / Raw / 100 fps footage at the moment).

And some of them also allow multiple streams to be shot the same time. So you can shoot, say 30fps and 100 fps footage with different view angles (crop-factor) at the same time to two different cards in the camera.

Its a shitload of cash. But you also get quite a lot of quality for that money. Sadly than its the computer and your storage capacity you need to start upgrading as shots at that quality often run into 10 to 20 GB per minute of filmed footage (at higher framerates).:S

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

johnmatrix

It's not really that expensive for what it is - the RED is a competitor to actual 35mm movie cameras, they can cost hundreds of thousands (and then there is the film as well) - and other formats like HDCAM.

e.g. Sony HDCAM SR camera, for $62,000 (lens sold seperately):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/661909-REG/Sony_SRW_9000_SRW_9000_HDCAM_SR_Camcorder.html

Good point. It's all relative. It's a good value... with the right professional who knows how to use it.

mccordia

Seeing how some people always go for the 'cheap' GoPro, but by now are onto their 4th one due to upgrades and loosing the odd camera, I think expensive is also a relative term:P

But quality wise, these expensive cameras also shoot in a range where most consumer cameras/DSLRs dont even come close to.....:S

Yes. Quality was the main reason I asked because I recently saw the photos at http://www.basedreams.com/ & was taken back by the quality... as well as the background scenery. I understand that these photos were shot from the ground but it made me curious about the max quality you can get from a jumpable camera.

You can bet that nearly every camera used for broadcast/film/production has been jumped at least once.
REDs are jumped most every week. HDSLR's are regularly jumped.
However...taking these cameras into the BASE environment might not be a good idea unless one is very experienced with them from balloons with base rigs.
Canopies open differently, weight may create balance issues.
I don't think I'd want a RED or the 3D cam (attached) on a BASE jump, but I don't know much about aerial cam for BASE, either.

DSE

You can bet that nearly every camera used for broadcast/film/production has been jumped at least once.
REDs are jumped most every week.

For my curiosity, what sort of production value are REDs adding to skydiving? Are these pet video projects, commercial film operations, guys videoing their jumps for fun or videoing tandems? The return on the investment seems skewed to me (as much as I enjoy top quality photography gear for a hobbiest).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For my use, they're commercial projects. For at least one other owner, it's acquiring footage that *might* be used in future commercial projects (stock is always sellable).
There is at least one guy jumping one 'for fun.'
The ROI is _definitely_ there if you are in the business.
That said, the EX1 is one I more commonly used until recently. much cheaper in the event of loss, less overhead for computer systems, and a lot less setup involved. But also a lot less quality on the output side, even if shooting to a Ninja over 4:2:2.

DSE

....REDs are jumped most every week....

Now that I know what I Red camera is, I see i mentioned everywhere. Here is a line from the shooting of Iron Man3:

"....was the camera operator, shooting the scene while free-falling and wearing a helmet-mounted Red camera."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/iron-man-3-red-bull-452228

DSE

REDs are jumped most every week. HDSLR's are regularly jumped.
However...taking these cameras into the BASE environment might not be a good idea unless one is very experienced with them from balloons with base rigs.
Canopies open differently, weight may create balance issues.
I don't think I'd want a RED or the 3D cam (attached) on a BASE jump, but I don't know much about aerial cam for BASE, either.

Thanks for posting the shots of the the helmet mounted RED & Panny3d. I have never seen anyone wearing either of those.

Do you have any stock photos you can post so I can get an idea of the max quality that can be obtained from a Red or Panny3d?