DougH

Flat Top Pro / Mantel / or Vapor Pro

I am sure this has been discussed a number of times, and I am doing some serious searching.

That being said if you had to build your setup again, today in 2013, which camera helmet would you go with and why? I would really appreciate the input before I drop 700+ on a new helmet!

I have out grown my Bonehead Optik Illusion that I was previously side mounting a PC350 in a box, and top mounting my Rebel Xsi on with a RSS setup.

The PC350 gave up the ghost and I am long overdue in a video upgrade so I bought a Cx760 and had a box made by Exit Equipment.

I would like to mount both of the camera horizontally on the top of the helmet, which is going to take some real estate!

I know I have seen flat top pro's with a still camera shelf off the front. Is that preferable to have both camera on top? It looks like it will clear up a lot of the space issue, but it looked like it could have some negatives too, mainly the extra weight cantilevered off the front!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I have 850-900 jumps on a mantle now. CX-100 side by side mounted with an XSi and it's still going strong. I can't see a reason to change it anytime soon. It's my work horse. There are times that I'd love to have the extra room of a FTPro to use for putting a flash or always on lights, but for 99.9% of my jumps the mantle fits the bill and works very well!

The extra weight on the front actually helps, rather than harms. It keeps the balance, and provides room for other things.
The Mantle is very cool, but I'm a big fan of the FTP. Mine is rigged for the RRS mount on top, and a lesser 1/4 mount on the front/L-bracket.

+1 on what Douglas said. I have a FF on the front and it provides much more balance. I also have 2X RRS mounts on top with a 7d and I use the 1/4" on the L bracket which works great. You could also put a GoPro on the front if you wanted backup for competition, etc.

If you are going to start putting weight on the L Bracket, I might recommend anchoring it with an additional 2-3 bolts right through the forehead of the camera so it doesn't rotate.

Just another thought as well, if you really want real estate up top, make sure to order the wide plate. Good luck and email me if you have any other questions I might help with.

Randy

"The eyes must learn to listen before they learn to see".

randyswallows.com

it terms of sheer space the Vapor Pro wins hands down. Its wider than the FTP. However the Vapor Pro does have a rounded forehead so mounting things on the front its a little trickier.

I have had instances on both the FTP and the Vapor's latching system getting knocked loose by riser slaps (actually lost a vapor that way).

Just adding some extra info.

If I mounted the XSI on the front porch I would have plenty of room for the cx760 on the top.

You can always add the wider top plate after the fact right?

You are talking about a plate that overlaps the sides of the helmet right?
=P

I have had instances on both the FTP and the Vapor's latching system getting knocked loose by riser slaps (actually lost a vapor that way).

Just adding some extra info.

Definitely something to consider!

BH advertises a riser slap resistant release.

I wonder if this an upgrade that they put on the helmets after users lost a bunch of them?
=P

Mine came with the deflector; I think they all have for quite a while now?
BH does have the extra wide top; I have one. It extends another 1" over the sides of the helmet, offering greater protection against strikes, and a larger overall mounting surface.

Mine came with the deflector; I think they all have for quite a while now?
BH does have the extra wide top; I have one. It extends another 1" over the sides of the helmet, offering greater protection against strikes, and a larger overall mounting surface.

Thanks everyone! This is awesome information.

I was searching around on RRS website, and came across this.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MPR-73-3/8ths&type=0&eq=&desc=MPR-73-3%2f8ths%3a-73mm-MPR-3%2f8th-threaded

Looks like it will be an awesome way to swap the CX760 and box between by Optik Illusion, and the new fully duty camera helmet, depending on the jumps I plan on doing.

The RSS stuff is $$$ but I absolutely love the clamp that I am currently using for my stills.
=P