ozzy13

Tandem Video

I want to use another method then DVD to deliver product to customer. (upload to website,thumb dive) Thumb drives seem to be to expensive. Cheapest I found was 4.25 per unit with logo.

Anyone using anything other then DVD and CD's?
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Upload the file to a server?

Yea give customer log in or something. Trying to find other way then handing disks to customer. Thumb drives would be great if they were cheaper. I get calls every week my disk is scratched or it don't play. There has to be a better way.

Thumbs aren't that much more than the cost of a DVD+CD. Factor in the significantly faster 'burn' time, they actually save money in the long run.
If you keep your eyes open, you can find thumbs for a coupla bucks, but those deals don't stick around long.

Thumbs aren't that much more than the cost of a DVD+CD. Factor in the significantly faster 'burn' time, they actually save money in the long run.
If you keep your eyes open, you can find thumbs for a coupla bucks, but those deals don't stick around long.

I think its the best way to give it to customer. Again price of dvd,cd, and paper selve comes to about a $1 iv found 3-4 on usb thumbs so its why I havnt changed. If i could find 1-2 a piece with adv print on it id jump all over it and yes would save so much time just draging and droping. Have any links like that send my way pleaae.

My concern with a thumb drive would be that it limits some people to viewing the video on their computer. No everyone is 'computer savvy', or has a DVD-burner in their computer, so once they get the thumb drive home, all they can do it show it on their computer.

On the flip side, almost every computer has a DVD player, so a DVD will work for TVs and computers, and anyone who is computer savvy can transfer that file to any media/format they want.

I think the thing to do is a offer a 'menu' of choices to the customer. Make the 'standard' packlage a DVD/CD with the video and stills, and if they want a thumb drive instead, they can upgrade for an extra $5. It takes care of your concerns regarding the costs, and my concerns regarding the functionality of a thumb drive.

My concern with a thumb drive would be that it limits some people to viewing the video on their computer. No everyone is 'computer savvy', or has a DVD-burner in their computer, so once they get the thumb drive home, all they can do it show it on their computer.

On the flip side, almost every computer has a DVD player, so a DVD will work for TVs and computers, and anyone who is computer savvy can transfer that file to any media/format they want.

I think the thing to do is a offer a 'menu' of choices to the customer. Make the 'standard' packlage a DVD/CD with the video and stills, and if they want a thumb drive instead, they can upgrade for an extra $5. It takes care of your concerns regarding the costs, and my concerns regarding the functionality of a thumb drive.

Having delivered well over 2000 videos/stills on thumbdrives in the past year, and knowing other DZ's have delivered more than that without a single complaint nor request for a DVD...I challenge this way of thinking.
It's a _shit ton_ more work/effort to strip video from the TS folder from a DVD to put the video online. It's also highly debatable that 'soccer mom' knows how to locate the transport folder, copy/strip the video, and then re-encode for YouTube or whatever. Yet it would be difficult to argue that soccer mom doesn't know how to insert a thumbdrive. Most TV displays made in the past 5 years have USB ports and AVC decoders as well.

There are arguments against thumbdrives (mainly cost), but that it will 'limit viewers' has proved to not be one of them. The same argument was made when DVD overtook VHS, and it too, proved to be a non-issue.

Next point; Offering a 'menu' of choices generally has just confused the issue. We've done this in the past, and while I agree with offering choices, practicality and speed make it a poor situation for a dropzone that is pounding out videos. If the conversation is a 182 DZ that has a lot of time to edit/render/deliver videos...sure. Offer them everything as side dishes. For a busy operation pounding out 100 tandems on a Saturday, it drastically reduces efficiency.

Having delivered well over 2000 videos/stills on thumbdrives in the past year, and knowing other DZ's have delivered more than that without a single complaint nor request for a DVD...I challenge this way of thinking.
It's a _shit ton_ more work/effort to strip video from the TS folder from a DVD to put the video online. It's also highly debatable that 'soccer mom' knows how to locate the transport folder, copy/strip the video, and then re-encode for YouTube or whatever. Yet it would be difficult to argue that soccer mom doesn't know how to insert a thumbdrive. Most TV displays made in the past 5 years have USB ports and AVC decoders as well.

There are arguments against thumbdrives (mainly cost), but that it will 'limit viewers' has proved to not be one of them. The same argument was made when DVD overtook VHS, and it too, proved to be a non-issue.

Next point; Offering a 'menu' of choices generally has just confused the issue. We've done this in the past, and while I agree with offering choices, practicality and speed make it a poor situation for a dropzone that is pounding out videos. If the conversation is a 182 DZ that has a lot of time to edit/render/deliver videos...sure. Offer them everything as side dishes. For a busy operation pounding out 100 tandems on a Saturday, it drastically reduces efficiency.

Thanks my thoughts on matter also. Giving tandem student more opt will just make things worse