DougH

Sony Vegas Pro 12 v. Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite 12

I noticed that there was a huge price difference between these two products.

Are they in the same family of software? I wasn't sure if Sony Movie Studio was a watered down version of Vegas Pro that was aimed at more basic users, or if it was really a totally different software.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

It is the watered down version, but it is very capable. For the videos that I make, it does more than I need it to do, and only costs about 100 bucks. For me, some of the upgrades for Pro are not worth it. I don't need tons of video channels, audio channels...never hit the limit on Movie Studio yet. Some of the other upgrades/differences might be worth it to you if you are using it for tandem/DZ videos to sell to customers.

Good info here http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare

That shows in pretty good detail what is left out of Home Studio.

DZ is using the Sony Movie Studio Platinum. I am going to try to avoid editing for work at all costs, and I don't think they want me editing either.

This is going to be for all of the boxes of mini-dv tapes that I hope to finally capture, and all of the new footage I hope to get with my new CX760. B|

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

you'll be fine with VMS. The only reason to use Pro is to access the automation that Sony Production Assistant brings to the table (the application that skydivers swyped from the dev team that created the automated workflow).

One cool thing about VMS-it too, can be mostly automated using the Sony plugs.
VMS has all the Pro engine, minus a very few high end professional features (such as RED decode, XML, XDCam, RAW processing, multicam).

I am sorry to bring this topic back to live, but Sony is offering us a Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum for only $49.99.
I am putting together a new video editing station and I wanna keep it similar to the one we have (Vegas Pro + Vasst), thus other solutions like Swoopware or Adobe are off the table.
VMS 14 has a bunch of new features that matter to us, like direct upload to Vimeo, YouTube and Facebook.
So, my questions are:
Is anyone using it yet?
Does it requires the Production Assistant (an extra $169.99) to save the templates?
Should I just stick with SV Pro and the PA?
Thank you for your inputs.

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

neandertal

I am sorry to bring this topic back to live, but Sony is offering us a Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum for only $49.99.
I am putting together a new video editing station and I wanna keep it similar to the one we have (Vegas Pro + Vasst), thus other solutions like Swoopware or Adobe are off the table.
VMS 14 has a bunch of new features that matter to us, like direct upload to Vimeo, YouTube and Facebook.
So, my questions are:
Is anyone using it yet?
Does it requires the Production Assistant (an extra $169.99) to save the templates?
Should I just stick with SV Pro and the PA?
Thank you for your inputs.

Movie Studio can use templates. You'll likely need to rebuild the ones from Vegas Pro because MS probably won't read them, but it's pretty easy. The part that MS can't do is use scripts to automatically populate those templates with your video clips ( PA only works in Vegas Pro). Instead, you'd need to drop the clips onto the template's timeline manually.