DougH

School me on memory cards... Sony Memory Stick, Versus SD/SDHC/SDHX

I need to get some memory cards for my CX760.

The internal memory may be a godsend if I run to the plane without a memory card, but the transfer speed from the internal memory with USB2.0 is brutally slow so I only want to use it in a oh shit back up moment.

Looking at my camera manual shows that the camera can take the following memory:

Memory Stick PRO-Duo (Mark2), up to 32gb
Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, up to 32gb
SD Memory Card, Class 4 or Faster, Up to 64gb
SDHC Memory Card, Class 4 or Faster, Up to 64gb
SDXC Memory Card, Class 4 or Faster, Up to 64gb

Intuitively I would think that the SD options are better since the offer a large capacity card, and it is proprietary like the Sony memory sticks.

Are there benefits to the Sony memory sticks that justify using them over the SD cards?

It appears the SD/HC/XC are the same format with varying capacities, with XC being the largest capacity, approaching TB's. That doesn't seem relevant here since the camera is verified operational in the manual up to 64 GB's.

Are there any other operation differences between a SD, SDHC, and SDXC card besides size?

Is there a brand that is the preferred media choice, like Sony is for freefall cameras?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P