virgin-burner

Canon 7D

i know that baby's got a couple years on it's back already, but for me it's new since i only got one about a month ago.. together with the 15-85 IS USM.

i'm completely blown away!

this is my first DSLR, the learning curve is kinda steep, i bought several books, one about the camera itself, one about photography in general and another one mostly with tips on how to take better pictures and more tech to consider.

not really planning on taking it airborne, but man, this camera is AWESOME!

i kinda wondered why there were not many posts about it on here, my guess is that it's a pretty hefty piece of equipment and would take it's toll on necks.

any other fans of the 7D around here?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

When it came out, I considered it as the best choice for skydiving. Still is an excellent body.

However, I would rather take something like 10-22 + 400D than 7D+15-85 for skydivng.

The more you shoot, the more you realize how little importace the body has.

EDIT to add:
The weigth difference on the 7D is only ~200grams more than the lightest models. Makes no difference what so ever IMO. Actually I could easily mount two of them if needed.

Congrats on your new body! The 7d is a great weapon to have. Sure it has been around for a few years but one could shoot with that thing for many years to come and be quite content.

Good on you for reading and trying to learn. Keep that up. Read and then apply what you have learned practically. Then re-read it again. Experiment often and try all focal lengths until you come into your own style. But just like the gentleman said previously, the more you shoot, the less it is about the body :)

Good luck and congrats on your new camera!

"The eyes must learn to listen before they learn to see".

randyswallows.com

EDIT to add:
The weigth difference on the 7D is only ~200grams more than the lightest models. Makes no difference what so ever IMO. .

I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. 200 grams is almost half a pound; the mirrorless camera with bat/card/lens I am shooting now only weighs .8lbs total (as dose my CX150 setup) While it might not be earth-shattering, a half a pound difference for some might be worth thinking about or taking into consideration.

The beauty of the 7D IMO is the faster auto focus, and burst rate. It gives you a really good chance of getting super sharp pics in a variety of distances/situations. If I shot tandems all day, might not be that big of an advantage, but shooting things more outside, or bigway type stuff... it would be a really sweet rig. The extra $ and slightly more heavy body might be worth it to several folks due to those factors.

Niklas Daniel did outside pics of our team last year in eloy, and he was shooting a 7D at the time. That was a year ago...not sure what he is using these days, but seems like a perfect camera for the variety of things that he shoots. http://www.niklasdaniel.com/_photography.htm

For a non skydiving camera... I was torn but passed up on it. If I shot sports photography I would have picked it up in a second, but since I don't it sits awkwardly between the 40-50-60D series and the full frames. At the time the price gap didn't make sense but now it looks like the 7D is close in price to the 60D bodies. I still use my old 40D for most of my portrait work, and my next camera will be either a 5Diii or 6D.

*edit- removed 70d as it hasn't officially launched yet.