Badabing

GoPros in competition?

I can't speak for frefly, but you see them in belly comps once in a while as a backup camera (usually backing up a CX).

The CX's are really nice cameras for comps and paid jumps. Very light weight, and small form factor, multi lens options, easy to adjust/customize settings on, and probably the biggest thing is the half moon port for the Hypeye. Having that real time visual indicator is really nice. Price is also right.

I actually found this year the judges preferred the GOPRO in 720 60fps for freefly since it seemed a lot less "shaky." They were complaining about gopros until I brought the fact up that their favorite was actually a gopro.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

AFAIK FAI rules say you cannot use GoPro in competition:

The freefall video equipment must be able
to deliver a High Definition (HD 1080i AVCHD) PAL digital signal through a compatible video
connection approved by the Video Controller.

I saw one used for a scrambles last year... The footage was judgeable, but he had to fly really really close due to the field of view (I'm not a gopro expert, and not sure about changing to a narrower frame...but the frame he was using was really wide). Even flying really close the team was smaller in the frame than I would prefer. Due to the super wide angle, flying just a little bit too high instantly made the team way too far away. Those near fisheye lenses are great for being really close, but one of the risks is the further you are away, the subjects get disproportionally smaller. edit* this is for belly, not freefly

AFAIK FAI rules say you cannot use GoPro in competition:

The freefall video equipment must be able
to deliver a High Definition (HD 1080i AVCHD) PAL digital signal through a compatible video
connection approved by the Video Controller.

As warned nearly 3 years ago, the lock on "AVCHD" is too specific, and with AVCHD on its last legs, AVC owns the landscape, while HEVC is just around the corner.
Identifying a codec is a mistake that will need to be corrected sooner than later.
A gopro set to 127 degrees FOV is fine for the conversation of viewing width (so everything isn't far away in fish-eye), but the quality does take a hit.

2013 change for artistic events:
a High Definition 1080 type digital signal with a minimum frame rate of 25 frames per second, through a memory card (minimum class 10).

same for fs events.
This probably qualifies gopro in the correct mode.

Why do they define what class the memory card has to have?

Isn't that like fixing one problem but replacing it with another?

In 5 years the definition for memoryspeed might not be class anymore.
Why even specify it at all?
If the memorycard is fast enough to record 1080 @ 25 fps, it's also fast enough to read the data.
All memorycards (that I know of) has a higher read than writespeed.

Yes I think that is the reason too.
But again, in a few years the files might be larger even in 1080 resolution.

I still find it odd that they would remove one issue and replace it with another.

If it's the waittime that is the issue, you could have a batchfile that runs automatic when you insert the card in a reader, this batchfile copies the latest file.
Having 4 cardreader conne cted to this computer will solve the issue much better in my opinion.

GoPros are insanely expensive. I think my CX115, lens, box and hypeye worked out cheaper than a GoPro with the required accessories.

If you're a fun jumper who does a bit of 4-way camera, use your GoPro. If you're doing a lot of camera, use the best tool for the job. :-)

I still find it odd that they would remove one issue and replace it with another.

If it's the waittime that is the issue, you could have a batchfile that runs automatic when you insert the card in a reader, this batchfile copies the latest file.
Having 4 cardreader conne cted to this computer will solve the issue much better in my opinion.

In a few years, HD will be dead. File sizes won't shift by much. 4K h.265 isn't much larger than 1080p h.264.
The speed of output is likely the reason for the faster cards, and by requesting class 10 cards, it also reduces the fairly high risk of faulty/counterfeit cards/failed jumps.

Is anyone using the Gopro to film a freefly or freestyle comp?

Haven't seen anyone yet.... wonder why.
Anyone know why everyone seems to be using SonyCX's?

Thanks for you input!

For US nationals, this year (2012) I used three cameras. 2 CX's and one gopro2. The go pro footage was used for all 11 rounds except one.

in 2009 Nationals, Go Pros were not allowed. due to (IIRC) time coding. I was surprised when I saw almost ALL Freefliers using GoPro.
My photos

My Videos

In a few years, HD will be dead. File sizes won't shift by much. 4K h.265 isn't much larger than 1080p h.264.
The speed of output is likely the reason for the faster cards, and by requesting class 10 cards, it also reduces the fairly high risk of faulty/counterfeit cards/failed jumps.

Are you sure about that?
Last weekend I made some jumps with my Black, and the ~5 min videos was the same size as my ~12-13 min files I get from my old Contour 1080.
The Contur shoots 1080 @30 and the black @60, I know thats a big difference.
But the rules say "minumum of 25 fps" so the cameraman can use 60, or 120 when that's avalible.

Are you sure about that?
Last weekend I made some jumps with my Black, and the ~5 min videos was the same size as my ~12-13 min files I get from my old Contour 1080.
The Contur shoots 1080 @30 and the black @60, I know thats a big difference.
But the rules say "minumum of 25 fps" so the cameraman can use 60, or 120 when that's avalible.

Sure about what? That HD is dying? Yes. I'm sure about that.
That file sizes will change by 20%? Yes, sure about that, too. H.265 holds some great promise, but ATM, quality match is approx 15% greater size at similar bitrate.

Sure that it takes greater speed to write? Yes, that's also a given, even with today's cameras.

If you're referencing the Black's 4k, that's 35% of framerate, and the 4K will soon be gone from the Black because of speed/heat issues.