spencer

Is this Exposure lock on.05. the same for the silver

I have the black and the exposure lock problem means I cant go from inside the plane to outside without washout, it this exposure lock just on the black, or on all Hero 3 models. ie white, Silver.

Not sure on the other models. GoPro stated they would make it user selectable on the Black at least.

I had a email from Gopro telling me this exposure lock problem does not happen with the silver, so took the black back, now waiting for the silver to arrive. Time will tell, if its a problem with the silver as well, then thats going back as well.

I was told by GoPro that the exposure lock problem is across the entire range of GP3 Hero cameras.
However, the silver and the older GP2 have 11mp not 12mp photos.
So my theory based on rumours below is that it may be OK, if so please post and let us know.

Rumours suggest that the the exposure lock is because the hardware and card cannot process the 12mp photo fast enough with auto exp on every photo at 0.5/1 secs.
(Hence why the GP2 wasn't exposure locked as that was 11mp but you still needed a class 10 card and a software update from standard to use it at 0.5 secs).

Now the GP3 has 12mp you still need a class 10 card to use 0.5 secs but they have locked the exposure on 0.5 secs and 1 secs. Hmmmm....

Therefore there's a possibility that Gopro will never be able fix the Black as it's down to its hardware and not software.

If they do fix it then it may be a case of having to go to 11mp and not 12mp.
If so then not a big deal but not as advertised, and then you may as well have saved your money and bought a silver in the first place. (Or just stuck with your GP2!)

I brought the black 2 months ago, took it back last week, because gopro told me the silver was not locked, then after I brought the silver which came sat, I got another email telling me the silver was locked the same as the black, so I wont even take it out of its case, and will be taking it back also, but all this time I have had no problem whats so ever getting a full refund, They came from John lewis, which also came with a 2yr standard waranty.
So its back to using the hero 2 for me. where as a friend of mine who brought his from the states, is stuck with it.

So I have the black, used it for handy cam on a tandem, experienced the exposure lock issue...All freefall pics where severely over-exposed. Ended up taking the DZ's hero3 silver up and no issues. This is a problem with only the black edition. I have a friend who has had luck holding it up to the window in the plane before starting the photo sequence and he's reported good results with it, just a pain to have to remember, especially when on jump run with a tandem strapped to ya...

Also, I've shot in 1440 and it produces some very beautiful screen grabs and the footage is very clean as well, despite being 4:3

projectalarum

Also, I've shot in 1440 and it produces some very beautiful screen grabs and the footage is very clean as well, despite being 4:3

1440 is never intended to be seen as 4:3. It is intended to be used in a video NLE that senses the 1.333 Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) and displays it properly at 1920x1080, and will be proper widescreen (and your images will be better, too).