spencer

New firmware update for the black due on the 2nd april

My H3 bombed and didn't record more than a couple of mins (of nothing) at the tunnel tonight so I sent them an email. They responded super quick with a link to a beta firmware (v HD3.03.02.36 beta) that I've installed on my GPH3B, hope it's an improvement because this is getting old.

My H3 bombed and didn't record more than a couple of mins (of nothing) at the tunnel tonight so I sent them an email. They responded super quick with a link to a beta firmware (v HD3.03.02.36 beta) that I've installed on my GPH3B, hope it's an improvement because this is getting old.

so how about you share that link with us?
:P
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Sounds like they are planning on making it an option. They made it lock to make the time lapse people happy but really think they are making for really shitty photos all around. However, thinking about it more, I guess most people don't do active sports with a .5/1 second photo rate, so it really is the skydivers that just have to deal with it.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

I am very very disappointed to discover that the "single button" mode is still not functioning after the last update....
If you can't make it work - remove the option from the menu!!!
don't let me struggle it and remove the battery 4 times just to get back to the menu to cancel the un functional mode >:(

I updated mine to the non-beta version (I think it was only one version number different) but had no issues on the beta version recording video at the tunnel (which had been a big problem). Hopefully they've got the major issues sorted and will be pushing another update for the features that aren't working or don't exist. Every company has limited development resources, I'm happy that they have sorted the major issues. Seems like they rushed the release out a bit based on this instability which is a business decision.

If I were in the position of wanting to buy a GP3 right now, I'd wait until the Ambarella A7L hardware update happens (very soon).
That 'fix' should take care of all the problems.
I'd expect a couple of months til it happens.

Does the update fix freezing problems? I'm planning to buy GP3 black at some point, but not until they've fixed it..

I've had fairly good luck with mine over the last month or two. I use it only for video and haven't played with the stills functions yet. I'd def reccomend picking up some spare batteries. You can find a two pack with a charger for 10$ less than a battery backpack will run you.

It's up now posted:
GOPRO HERO3 UPDATE 4/4/2013

When I go to that site it won't run on Chrome, and kills Firefox and IE completely.

So do the manual update option.

That's what I did;)

It's pretty simple and they even have pictures.

Pictures? Must be designed for freefliers.

However, their web site doesn't inspire confidence that their programming quality control is any good, does it? And the fuck-up with the firmware would appear to confirm that opinion.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If I were in the position of wanting to buy a GP3 right now, I'd wait until the Ambarella A7L hardware update happens (very soon).
That 'fix' should take care of all the problems.
I'd expect a couple of months til it happens.

DSE is that an update to the A7L in GP or a move to the A9 for a future black replacement?

Pictures? Must be designed for freefliers.

However, their web site doesn't inspire confidence that their programming quality control is any good, does it? And the fuck-up with the firmware would appear to confirm that opinion.

Requirement for a 64bit browser for the Java 7 plugin to work correctly and shitty camera firmware aren't really the same thing.

If you still have the Java browser plugin enabled I'd HIGHLY reccomend you disable it anyways. You are basically running backwards through a corn field with a bare ass.

Requirement for a 64bit browser for the Java 7 plugin to work correctly and shitty camera firmware aren't really the same thing.

But they are similar. Developing a web interface that will not work on major browsers show either
A) a rush job.
B) a lack of funds/resources to do it correctly.
C) a lack of desire to be accommodating to your customers.

One of those conditions might also be responsible for problems with the black.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

The update utility needs to interact with hardware, there aren't a whole lot of web development platforms that allow that. The fact is, you can pretty much take anything else off the list entirely. So, what GoPro did was to take the time to make life easier for people who are able to run this app and still provide a simple method to update their cameras by downloading.

The debacle that is Java (it *should* be disabled everywhere) had certainly not hit in full force while they were developing the H3 and you could only assume the app development. The alternative is to develop desktop applications for any platform they want to support which is expensive. Java is a good option for supporting platform, unfortunately, it's also good for security holes and hence the problem with Java.