AndyMan

Cameras that aren't go-pros

I thought this would be asked and answered all over here, but I don't see this posted recently.

I dropped my cx150 and broke it. Time for a new camera. It seems like everyone is jumping go-pros these days but I want something a bit _more_. I could replace with a used cx150... But I also see Sony has cx190, cx200, cx210, pj200.

Then there's the whole gamut of action cams too. Too much research to do, so I'm asking here. What's the bomb video camera that's not a go-pro?
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I was just about to post a thread asking the same thing. In light of recent events I'm no longer interested in buying a gopro and was wondering if there are any competitors to the gopro 3 black yet? I'm mainly interested in filming 720p at 120fps.
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

Unfortunately, your best bet and cheapest/cleanest option is just to purchase another cx150 from ebay. If you go with the cameras you listed (cx190/200/210) you may need to glue an adapter onto your camera to support a wide angle lens (see our website).

If you want to upgrade, look into the Sony CX760/710 and their PJ (projector) counterparts. BOSS stabilization seems to work great in freefall and I have heard it called "butter".

Now as far as the latest Sony cameras, everything from entry level up to the $699 price range has optical stabilization and does not have a wide angle adapter. The Sony PJ430V looks promising but will not work with the HYPEYE as of right now. This year's cameras also have a new connector called the Sony Multi-Terminal Port that replaces the "half moon/d/av R" connector. Luckily there is an multi to av/r adapter, but it's compatibility with the HYPEYE D is untested as of this writing. (Sony VMC-AVM1 Adapter Cable )

Depending on the complexity and the needs of the industry, HYPOXIC may or may not make a new replacement cable / HYPEYE Multi.

Stay tuned on our facebook page since I tend not to follow this forum super close.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

I'm editing from multiple sources from a tropical boogie and in an instant I can see which clip is from that glorious CX-150. The Contour2+ is second with that dorky looking Go Pro third. Nothing is the quality like that CX-150 with built in ring adapter for screw on wide angle.

OOOh must shoot at 120 fps..... yea but there is a compromise, for everything else there is After Effects ..... :)

If you want to upgrade, look into the Sony CX760/710 and their PJ (projector) counterparts. BOSS stabilization seems to work great in freefall and I have heard it called "butter".

I'd second this. The CX760 is pricey, but it's worth it.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I'd second this. The CX760 is pricey, but it's worth it.

Remember the old Sony PC-1 and PC-5 days? Man O man, you paid big $$$ (like high $2,500) when they first came out and they were tape. We are all used to quick - fast - cheap now.

On the other end of the spectrum, here is a prime lens I've been dying to have but is stupid expensive, even more than the camera body its self. No competition against it and though the fish-eye thing is neat, I get real board of that effect by picture #8 :)

[url "http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_14mm_f_2_8l_ii_usm"] Prime Lens[url]

The I would reccomend to you that you look into the Sony AS15 Action Cam. Bought one about three weeks ago and have been filming my jumps almost exclusively in the 720p 120pfs mode. Quality is great and camera is very userfriendly. Been working on an edit the past few days, when it's ready I'll send you the link so you check the quality.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"