trunk

Canon EOS SL1 (smallest dslr) and T5i Released

The T5i seems very similar to the T4i but the SL1 is a new option for those looking for a small lightweight dslr. It's:
* 14oz
* 4.60 x 3.57 x 2.74in
* Sports a 2.5mm shutter release jack and
* Shoots 4fps raw (7 shot burst)
* shoots 1080@30fps video with "continuous AF"
* works with Standard canon EF lenses
* And for what it's worth a 18MP sensor
Sure more to come... PS the T5i shoots at 5fps
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

That might be just what I need to balance out the size issue I am having with my CX760! :D

This is unrelated, but have we discussed the EOS M that they are comparing it to size wise on some of their distribution materials? I think that was the mirror less model that took the same lenses as the Rebel series?

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Do you know if the memory slot on the SL1 is located in the battery compartment (on the bottom of the camera) as it is on the T3?

Edit....It must be. I found some pics http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/21/4130216/canon-eos-rebel-sl1-rebel-t5i-and-powershot-sx280-hs-pictures

I cant see a card slot on the sides or back. [:/] Prolly how they got it so small. There are some nice side by side shots of the SL1 and the T5i.

Thanks for all that you do for the sport Trunk!!

Blue Skies,
Jason

Holy crap that SL1 sounds awesome! I wonder if it has the same sensor and image quality as the T5i? I am ok with a framerate hit, but not sure about quality.

I see photographers all the time complaining that the Rebel series is "too small"... but for both of my biggest photography interests (skydiving and backpacking), a small camera is a huge plus!

I'm already on the verge of replacing my CX100 with an action camera for most jumps. If I do a SL1 next to that, my head might feel like a head again instead of a bowling ball. B|

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Trunk, (or anyone) so these numbers were given after canon tests with their 8gb SD card. Is there any information available as to continuous shooting or fps using a sandisk extreme pro 95mb/s SD Card? Will a high quality card like that significantly improve performance and buffer clearing?

Trunk, (or anyone) so these numbers were given after canon tests with their 8gb SD card. Is there any information available as to continuous shooting or fps using a sandisk extreme pro 95mb/s SD Card? Will a high quality card like that significantly improve performance and buffer clearing?

Wild speculation, but I'd like to think they'd set up their tests such that the camera buffer is the limiting factor in the chain (i.e. by choosing a card faster than necessary). Not sure there is a definitive answer out there to prove that now, but after release it will probably be easy to find a third party website running such tests also.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I don't know, Matt, I've been considering getting my hands on an SL1 to replace my CX100. The Sonys aren't forever and their IS isn't all that great. I'm wondering what a IS lens would look like and to be able to have complete manual control of my videos. I think it is worth looking at :)

"The eyes must learn to listen before they learn to see".

randyswallows.com

I picked one up and like it. Turns out the memory card does make a difference when shooting continuous. Using a 20mb/s class 10 UHS-1 card, I got bored holding down the shutter button before it slowed down. I did notice about to "hiccups" where it skipped a beat but then got right back up to 4fps
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/photography/hands-reviews/hands-review-canon-eos-rebel-sl1?BI=2446&KBID=3296

Stills in the form of JPEG, RAW and JPEG+RAW and MOV H.264 video are saved to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards. As for burst rates in continuous shooting mode, you can expect to capture 28 Large JPEGs, 7 RAW or up to 4 Large JPEG+RAW images before filling the camera’s buffer. When shooting to UHS-1 memory cards you can expect to capture up to 1140 JPEGs, 8 RAW or up to 4 JPEG+RAW still images in continuous mode. It’s worth noting that the EOS Rebel SL1 also features a silent shooting mode which, while it slows continuous-shooting frame rates, comes in very handy when shooting in sound-sensitive environments.

I saw one in the showroom...and it wasn't as small as I was hoping it would be. Compared to the APS sony's and 4/3rds cameras...it is still significantly larger.

For some it might be a good upgrade and save a little size/weight, but IMO, it's not small enough to really get excited about.

These guys do good reviews, and have some good info on the camera. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BG5wq-CXyQ&feature=share&list=UUuw8B6Uv0cMWtV5vbNpeH_A

I'm also looking at the T5i vs SL1 (EOS 700D and 100D for Europe) right now. Also, maybe looking at the new 70D coming out imminently. Attached is a comparison sheet I made from the Canon UK site.

I compared the 700D and 100D in a shop and was surprised at how much lighter the 100D was. However, one note re skydiving the 100D has bottom card access whereas the 700D has door on side.

Anyone have feedback/thoughts on jumping the SL1 vs T5i? Seems the only real differences are the SL1 has 4fps vs 5fps of the T5i, non-tilting LCD screen and bottom access to card.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

407, 580, and 755 grams respectively. I highly doubt many here could look at a picture and tell you which camera body took it. My neck votes for smallest and lightest. With that said the battery life on the sl1 suffers a bit.

I don't really care for the flip out screen on the t5, things that move are things that break. I haven't mounted a sl1 to a quick release plate yet, but would assume with a little work one could mount it to a plate and still access the card.

RMK

I'm also looking at the T5i vs SL1 (EOS 700D and 100D for Europe) right now. Also, maybe looking at the new 70D coming out imminently. Attached is a comparison sheet I made from the Canon UK site.

I compared the 700D and 100D in a shop and was surprised at how much lighter the 100D was. However, one note re skydiving the 100D has bottom card access whereas the 700D has door on side.

Anyone have feedback/thoughts on jumping the SL1 vs T5i? Seems the only real differences are the SL1 has 4fps vs 5fps of the T5i, non-tilting LCD screen and bottom access to card.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-SL1-vs-Canon-Rebel-T5i
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

Using that same resource, make sure you also thoroughly check out their found list of "cons" also HERE

And make sure some of those things, are not also possible deal-breakers for you as well.

For instance - noted lack of weather-sealing. If you plan to use your set-up professionally, and one inadvertent jaunt through some "industrial haze" has real potential to take you out of the rotation... well then... 4fps might not seem like a bad "trade-off" either, until you start comparing your exit & opening shots packages being provided, versus the other guys shooting 6-8 fps, etc.

Just some added thought material fodder is all. ...As I sit here rubbing my sore neck from this past weekend as well! :P

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I opted for the EOS 700D (T5i) as I’ll use it more on the ground than in the air. However, for a dedicated helmet still cam, the SL1 seems quite nice.

Is there a thread or article that gives some info on settings for the camera when jumping? I’ve never jumped a still camera, so open for advice.

Re my setup, my helmet is as TonFly CC1 (with ZKulls on top & side). After doing some searching, I'm tentatively planning on buying:

Conceptus Tongue Switch
http://www.conceptusinc.com/tongueswitch.htm
(seems most users end up biting/chewing through bite switches and I don’t really see the benefit of a blow switch)

ZKulls Camera Plate
http://www.rcb-lab.com/stills-camera-brackets-and-plates
(already have ZKulls on helmet and like them)

Silicone cover for camera
http://www.enjoyyourcamera.com/Camera-Protection/Camera-Protection-Cover/easyCover-Silicone-Camera-Cover-for-Canon-EOS-650D-and-700D-Customized::5922.html
(they’re cheap and will keep camera from getting scratched up)

Would also be interested in the choice of switch, if anyone finds the tongue switches not useful.

I tried a tongue switch once and its tough! Way more challenging than a bite switch and I couldn't hack it :-) (And yes I know I am setting myself up for all sorts of dirty jokes)

I much prefer the bite switch even if they do wear out more often.

I generally shoot in TV mode, 1/640 iso auto and I usually use the landscape color setting just cuz I like how it makes the shots stand out. I usually use auto white balance but will sometimes change it to cloudy or sunny depending on the day. This is on my T4i.

Thanks for the info.

To keep this thread on just these specific cameras (Canon EOS 700D/T5i & 100D/SL1) and not drift it, I’ll take my “how to” queries to this thread: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2878945;search_string=settings%20for%20still%20camera;#2878945

One feedback on playing around with my 700D (T5i) is that I find the burst rate is consistently higher than the specs say – nearly always 6 fps or higher. I’m using a 100MB/s card, so assume that helps.

I tried a tongue switch once and its tough! Way more challenging than a bite switch and I couldn't hack it :-) (And yes I know I am setting myself up for all sorts of dirty jokes)

I do just the opposite. ...I buy bite-switches, yet - use my tongue to actuate them!! :P

Seriously, actually.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I bought the T5i. The only complaint I have is that the autofocus during video isn't very accurate. Stills are quite acceptable. The flip-out screen is quite nice when trying to get shots in a crowded plane.

I'm not too partial on the amount of time it takes in live view but being able to touch someone's face on the flip-out screen and have it auto-focus is handy when they're behind you.

-Michael

I started using the SL1 when it was released. It is a great all around camera. I use it for Formation skydiving and Tandem Video. It is light weight and small. I also use it for a back up body for photography and I think it holds up to the 60D in quality and out preforms the 60D in Low Indoor light settings. My only complaint is that the Autofocus on Video is not very good. It loses focus a lot and takes awhile searching for the focus to return. I use a CX 760 for video so I don't really do a lot of video with it so it doesn't bother me. I love the camera and use it quite a bit.
Blue Skies
Joe
"Knowledge is the antidote to fear."
--- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jabeln79

I started using the SL1 when it was released. It is a great all around camera. I use it for Formation skydiving and Tandem Video. It is light weight and small. I also use it for a back up body for photography and I think it holds up to the 60D in quality and out preforms the 60D in Low Indoor light settings. My only complaint is that the Autofocus on Video is not very good. It loses focus a lot and takes awhile searching for the focus to return. I use a CX 760 for video so I don't really do a lot of video with it so it doesn't bother me. I love the camera and use it quite a bit.

What lens do you use for tandems and how does it do on exits and focus (fps on exits) etc.? Any exposure or blur problems?

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Arcticanalog

Just bought an SL1 and have a Canon 10-22mm on it. Definitely need some suggestions on ISO, shutter speeds for different lighting environments. I know there are other threads out there and I will look, but humor me if anyone on here has some good stuff they want to share.

Thanks dudes.

Suggestion:
Low light: high ISO, low shutter speed
High light: low ISO, high shutter speed

There are no magic numbers. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com