kallend

Sony Vegas question

I've been demo-ing Sony Vegas Platinum and had just about decided to buy it when I ran into a problem.

I loaded a short clip from my GP3B, clipped it down to about 20 seconds, and ran the sony stabilization effect from the menu to remove some jitter. Worked just fine; when running the preview of the timeline all the jitter had gone.

However, when I render the now stabilized clip OR "make movie" the rendered version (or the created file) is the unstabilized clip with all the jitter.

Yes, I did use the online help and did exactly what it said.

????

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

on the timeline, does the event name say "subclip" in it, or is it the original clip/event name?

There's no name, just a picture of the first frame of the clip. After running the stabilization the clip is clearly stabilized when run in the preview window. After rendering the clip is clearly not stabilized when run in the preview window, but the timeline shows no obvious change.

I have now repeated this 3 times with the same result each time (definition of insanity, right?)

under "VIEW," tick the option to show event names. This will reveal the name of the event as it sits on the timeline.

Are you adding Stabilize in the Media tab, or on the timeline?

There is no "event names" option on the view menu. Maybe this is a different version than yours.

If I stabilize a subclip in the media tab and then drag it to the timeline and render, it does NOT destabilize the video as previewed, but the output file is not stabilized. If I stabilize on the timeline (which works) and render then the timeline preview itself is unstabilized as well as the output file.

It was a whole lot easier in Premiere for $(several hundred) more. Mercalli Easy works fine too, although it has no other editing features.

I thought the timeline should show exactly what the final product will look like (it does in every other video editor I've used). It's strange that in this case the timeline can be either changed during the rendering process, or that the product doesn't look like the timeline, depending on how the effect is applied.

EDITED TO ADD:

Found the problem. Program seems to have a bug in that if you don't change the name of the output file it asks if it should overwrite the old version - I answered "Y". Unfortunately it seems that it doesn't actually do that, and the old version doesn't get overwritten. So when the program opens the supposedly new version what I actually saw is the previous version. Apparently I had been looking at on old unstabilized version all along. Once I decided to change the name of the output file all was well.

Lubarsky's Law: "There's always one more bug."

My mistake, "clip name" is "active take information" in newer versions of Vegas.
However, not having a problem in VMS 12 re-rendering to same filename when saving to same location.
I'm using build 334; if you're not on that same build, you might want to update.

OK, latest update. I was still having trouble getting a stabilized version to render with stabilization intact. On a whim I added a second effect on the effects chain and everything worked fine. Doesn't seem to matter what the second effect is, just having it there does the trick.

Is that weird or what?

OK, latest update. I was still having trouble getting a stabilized version to render with stabilization intact. On a whim I added a second effect on the effects chain and everything worked fine. Doesn't seem to matter what the second effect is, just having it there does the trick.

Is that weird or what?

It's weird in that I can't reproduce it based on your earlier description and this one.

Can you give me a step x step either here or in PM?
drop a single event/clip, trim it, subclip it, and then let's go from there.
If you wish, you can also email me a short clip and the .vf file.

Is that weird or what?

It's weird in that I can't reproduce it based on your earlier description and this one.

Can you give me a step x step either here or in PM?
drop a single event/clip, trim it, subclip it, and then let's go from there.
If you wish, you can also email me a short clip and the .vf file.

1. take video with GP3black (or silver) on my quadcopter. Typically use 1080p 60

2. Download video to my PC

3. Open Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum V12.0 (paid up, registered version)

4. Click on "New project"

5. Drag video to Project Media window

6. Right click on clip and open trimmer

7. Make subclip of, say 30 seconds. Subclip shows up in Project Media window. Select subclip

8. Click on "Media FX" button in Project Media window. Select "Sony Stabilize", "add" and "OK"

9. Click "Apply" in the Stabilize window. PC takes 2-3 minutes to run the effect.

10. Drag the media subclip to the timeline.

11. Preview the timeline in Video Preview window. Shows us properly stabilized.

12. Click "Make Movie" and select output format (say 720p30).

13. After rendering a window opens asking if I want to open the rendered file. Click "Open". Movie shows, and is NOT stabilized.

IF after step 9 above I add another effect (like color correction or lens flare) and then carry on as before, then after rendering the final movie IS stabilized.

I have now reproduced this a bunch of times and every time it is the same. Doesn't matter what the original clip is.

Just got a software update from Sony and now everything works fine.

Thanks for all the help. Your video was very useful.

I'll be at SOS event at Elsinore in April so I expect I'll see you there.