nigel99

Training conversion from standard to SOS system?

Thanks everyone for the detailed replies and pm's. I like to understand gear before using it. Since S.O.S is completely foreign to me I needed some background.

I know that one of the "old" causes of fatalities, was borrowed gear having different procedures. This drove some of my questioning.

I'll post a reply once everything is finalised.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Maybe it was. It's in an old Jav. So, sorta like a Dolphin. It had both handles, but w/extra cables, & a lot of slack. I didn't like the look of it. Though, they told me it would function as a normal two handled system if I need it.

Some good discussion, but I want to address the key piece of equipment here that is at the heart of the issue, the jumper's brain.

We can debate which EP system, SOS 2-handle or Universal is best for FJS, but that really misses the key question here, which is, how can we ensure someone with limited experience will remember which system she is wearing during the high-stress, sensory-overloaded moment of a malfunction?

Most of the DZ's I have taught at for the past decades used SOS systems, but forbade student to jump them once they moved to 2-handle systems for reasons I hope are obvious.

It takes some time to learn something, even more time to unlearn something and replace it with something else. Later she will have to unlearn the new learning and relearn the old learning and we all hope she remembers which learning to follow when she has a malfunction. If she was your mother, wife, gf, or sister, what would you recommend she do?

If her 9 jumps are fairly recent, and the distance difference between the two DZs is only and hour or so, I would be reluctant to train her on the new system.

I might be sightly less reluctant if the new system she was learning on were to end up being the same system she will use once she has her own gear.

If it has been a year or longer since her last jumps or last training, I might not worry as much about transitioning so long as she gets a couple hours of training and practice drills on the new system -- enough training and practice to flush out the old way.

If her 9 jumps are fairly recent, and the distance difference between the two DZs is only and hour or so, I would be reluctant to train her on the new system.

I might be sightly less reluctant if the new system she was learning on were to end up being the same system she will use once she has her own gear.

If it has been a year or longer since her last jumps or last training, I might not worry as much about transitioning so long as she gets a couple hours of training and practice drills on the new system -- enough training and practice to flush out the old way.

Her experience is only 9 jumps. Distance between old dz and proposed new is a mere 12000 miles:ph34r:
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

If she was your mother, wife, gf, or sister, what would you recommend she do?

I'll take a shot at that...

mother, - put brillo on the handle, tell het to pull the SOS Brillo pad
wife, - nothing
gf, - Full FJC using SOS system
sister, - extortion, silence on busting me for anything I do.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239