gearless_chris

Canon 6D

Has anybody used the new Canon 6D yet? Most of the reviews I've seen are good, other than silly stuff like only having one card slot, and only 1 cross point for the auto focus.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Depends on what you are wanting to use it for.

I am thinking of picking one up for my studio/event photography. The price of the 5d mk3 is coming down a bit too...making it more and more attractive also, but for now the 6D is in the lead. The lack of auto focus zones sucks a bit...but it's what I'm used to with the current cameras I am using. Other than that no huge drawbacks for the way I want to use it over the 5D mkiii

I wouldn't ever pick one up for skydiving though; but that's just me.

Same here, I don't intend to use it for skydiving either, just ground work. I have a T1i now, so the auto focus is probably still better than what I'm used to. Besides, I pretty much only use the center focus point anyway. The single card slot instead of a dual isn't an issue either. I'm getting a Sony NEX-VG30 for video, so I can shoot both stills and video at the same time, from different angles if I want. The 6D is still pretty new, I haven't heard much about them, other than the 5D markIII is better, duh.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Do you want to use it for Skydive-Photography?

If yes, the weight and the autofocus may be a drawback. Other than that, it is i nice camera. I personally feel more at home at the Canon 7D (very good autofocus, but smaller APS-C sensor). The 5D Mk3 is a perfect combination (very good autofocus & full format sensor).

BTW, you can find a good review here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d/

Kind regards,
Jan

I've shot stills with my 5D a few times when I felt brave. It's pretty heavy for my poor neck but honestly photos of the last load of the day were a zillion times better...

-Michael

I totally aggree. I have a BH Optik with the my 5D MKII with a Sigma 15 lens up top with a a GP3 for everyday fun video/stills. Both formats fit awesome and I can't find another still combo that can compare to how tack sharp this setup has. The pro-setup is on a heavy BH FTP with my CX cam. I'll post some photos when I get a chance. btw... AF on the MKII isn't all that great but on a wide lens you can set it to "M" close to infinity and cheat all the way up to about 2 feet of focal distance. IMHO... APS-C format has nothing on full-frame no matter which way you go.

APS-C format has nothing on full-frame no matter which way you go.

Actually, smaller sensors have many advantages over the full frame. In sports photography, the advantages come with the wider DoF and the advantage with faster framerate which is very important.

AFAIK, most professional sport photographers like to use a smaller sensor than Full frame. I would guess APS-H to be the most popular choice. However, the selection of wide angle lenses is poor for this sensor size. Therefore I personally prefer the APS-C for skydiving. The weight issue doesnt really matter that much for me, but its a plus.

Also, using manual focus will most of the time be focused "around there", but isnt really spot on. Makes it kindof useless to spend a lot of money on an expensive body, if you are not able to focus 100% I have seen many skydive photographers spending a lot of money on an expensive body and L-series lens and then shoot off focused photos on manual.

I'm keeping my T1i/CX150 for jumping. The 6D is for nice ground stills. I'm getting either a T4i or T3i as a backup. I'm also getting a Sony NEX VG-20 for nice ground video.

I'm really looking forward to getting the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens, it sounds like the most badass lens ever made.

AFAIK, most professional sport photographers like to use a smaller sensor than Full frame.

No question about it. It adds benefit to any zoom.

Also, using manual focus will most of the time be focused "around there", but isnt really spot on.

You'll find that most sport photographers use auto anyway. The primary issue is composition, and everything else comes secondary.

AFAIK, most professional sport photographers like to use a smaller sensor than Full frame.

Yeah, that too. Though it doesnt really play any role in freefall photography. I guess you already know this, but tell this in case theres someone else who havent thought about this. If the two cameras have the same pixel density you are effectively going to get the same picture. The only difference is that with the cropped body you wont have to crop the image.

Nowadays pixel density exeeds the capabilities of the lens, so the lens becomes the weak point. One major advantage with cropped bodies comes with faster frame rate. Because the sensor is smaller, the shutter curtains dont need to travel as long as they do with full frame. As long as were using a focal plane shutter, full frame will always be slower and worse in this way.

I'm after he full frame more for low light performance, and non sports where speed isn't an issue. I'll have the T4i if I really need that kind of speed, and the 70-200 will be pretty awesome at 320mm. :-)

With the APS I'm shooting a prime 24. Full frame I've got a 20mm prime as well. Both are canon glass. I prefer the smaller size and weight plus they seem to have a certain crispness you just can't get with the 17 or whatever elements of glass in a zoom lens.

-Michael

I'm really looking forward to getting the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens, it sounds like the most badass lens ever made.

i wanna get the non-IS version to go with my 7D and the 15-85 i already have.. next one will be harder to choose, but the 8-15 fisheyed sounds like a lot of fun too! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

next one will be harder to choose, but the 8-15 fisheyed sounds like a lot of fun too! :)

Full frame + 8-15mm would be an interesting combo for sure. I have no experience with the lens, but I would suspect it has a rather thick front element and it is very prone to fogging which is a major drawback in skydiving enviroment.

next one will be harder to choose, but the 8-15 fisheyed sounds like a lot of fun too! :)

Full frame + 8-15mm would be an interesting combo for sure. I have no experience with the lens, but I would suspect it has a rather thick front element and it is very prone to fogging which is a major drawback in skydiving enviroment.

it's an L-lens and as such weather sealed; can fogging become a problem then?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

it's an L-lens and as such weather sealed; can fogging become a problem then?

Yes, I would very much think so.

AFAIK fogging occurs when there are fast changes in temperature. In skydiving environment there is often a huge difference in the air temperature at exit altitude compared to deployment altitude. When a thick front element of the lens is cooled down to exit temp. it is still much colder than the surrounding air when we get to lower altitudes. The lens suffers the same consequence as a cold bottle of beer, when we take it out from the fridge. Moisture will condensate from surrounding air. Also the humidity of surrounding air plays a large role in this.

If the front element is thinner, it will comply with the surrounding temperatures more quickly and fogging is much less likely to occur.

IMO weather sealing wont make any difference. Weather sealing wont prevent the front element from cooling down at exit altitude.

Also, using manual focus will most of the time be focused "around there", but isnt really spot on.

You'll find that most sport photographers use auto anyway. The primary issue is composition, and everything else comes secondary.

Last year on the sidelines of a few Texas A&M football games, I was in a sea of Nikon D3x and D4s with 400mm lenses on Really Right Stuff monopods. Most of those guys had a D800 slung with a 70-200 or even a few with a 24-70 as well. It was impressive to watch them work, how they moved, how they setup and then their quiet work flow as they followed the plays and tried to anticipate angles in a sea of people on the sideline.

You could tell they were working photographers who didn't pay for the gear out of their own pocket, though. When it was raining they had a hodgepodge of plastic bags for covers. The guys with less expensive rigs but it was obvious they purchased their own gear had purpose built weather gear over their cameras.

With that said, besides sports shooters, I know of some wildlife photographers who run a D7000 with full frame lenses to get the sweet spot in the center of the lens, the crop, the cycle rate and the file size. Remember that even old D1s with their laughably small ability (compared to now) printed cover shots for large international magazines.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."