jonorato

GoPro Mounted on the side of helmet safe?

Between the three relatively recent fatalities from camera/bridle/line entanglements, the German video showing the strength of two-sided tape, our own weight/pull tests, the proliferation of newer jumpers wearing cameras before they have much experience dealing with malfunctioning gear (it's a long list of more) we do know that cutaways have saved lives. We do know that small format cameras don't easily break off without leverage, and none of us can be sure we'll always have/ever have the leverage needed to break one off during a malfunction.

DSE, I know how strong that mounting tape can be. I have been wondering about the plastic mounts and their strenght. I understand one might never know if they would break or not. But do you know of any specific testing that anyone has done on the plastic mounts?

Thanks,
Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

somewhere in this forum is a photo of me pulling on a 100lb archery scale with Spectra around a mount, and not breaking at 100lbs. Moving the line to the mount itself, it broke (IIRC) @ 60lbs.
I'm too lazy to search it out for you. See the small camera incidents thread, there is video of a guy hanging on a mount and PC. The mount did not break nor pull off.
FWIW, we also found that Fastex clips don't release under load.

somewhere in this forum is a photo of me pulling on a 100lb archery scale with Spectra around a mount, and not breaking at 100lbs. Moving the line to the mount itself, it broke (IIRC) @ 60lbs.
I'm too lazy to search it out for you. See the small camera incidents thread, there is video of a guy hanging on a mount and PC. The mount did not break nor pull off.
FWIW, we also found that Fastex clips don't release under load.

Best advice I recieved when doing research for my camera helmets...
"It's really hard to cut away with a broken neck! Make it as snag free as you possibly can." ... Bergie

Food for thought.:)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I just wanted to give the viewing audience a little reminder that in 2012:

We lost two wonderful people due to (most likely) helmet snags on their risers.

And this is without attaching any fish hooks or boat anchors....

C

Just a reminder of what you guys are playing with here.....:S

To Answere Dan, 3M has done exhaustive testing on their "mounting" tape, tape. In fact one popular tape is used to apply the side panels to those tractor trailer bodies and much of the fairings that are so popular these days. The only advice I have regarding dealing with 3M is get on the phone and be persistant, their web site is insane. They have numerous product bullitains and application information. Many of these tapes are stronger than the surface material they are bonding toghther.... Here is a link to get you started: Tape

Design guide

If you wade thru these you can see that the plastic body of a Go Pro can support loads of up too almost 2000 lbs. in compression, and over 1000 lbs (cm/3) in tension, this far exceeds the capabilities of your neck....

Now for the real scarey part: The visoelastic properties of these tapes ensure their adhesion over time, along the bond line and shear points they absorbe energy to protect their bond. This means over a few milliseconds they could potentially transfer 10,000 lbs of energy per every square inch....

I was under the impression that we wore helmets to make things safer???? Not worse???

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

ChrisD

Did I understand you correct? There are two fatalities in the year 2012 due to riser strikes? Do tell please !

BMFin

Did I understand you correct? There are two fatalities in the year 2012 due to riser strikes? Do tell please !

If the camera is snagged on the riser and you cutaway it could easily kill you, the 3M tape as said above can hold 2000 lbs of force before breaking that means your neck will snap as you release your main.

I don't think he meant a riser strike. And in a malfunction think how easy it would be for a riser to catch a go pro on the side? Especially the one like in the picture on the first page of this thread. Man I have to say that is damn foolish the way he has that camera.

On my last Wingsuitbase I had brutal linetwists.

My lines were so twisted that I couldn't barely move in my suit allready and my fullface helmet was blocking any moves additionally.

Could luckily throw the fullface helmet off, untwist the lines and land safely.

With a sidemounted cam I wouldn't have had any chance to get out of this, a sidemounted cam would have made everything worst or even broke my neck...

I happen to have over 200 jumps on this G2 with a Hero 3 Mounted onto the Cookie Pivot Point using my own design Quick Lock that works like a PL mount lens. I have had riser strikes but mostly I control the openings by forcing the risers wide during opening. I also jump a 119 Crossfire 2 with a wing loading of about 1:9
I do use a cut away system and the Quick Lock uses plastic screws like my Articulating Bracket