mattj82

Camera Jacket

I have just recieved my first new camera jacket, and I am curious as to it fitting properly. My main concern is that it is very tight around my waist, and I am not sure if that is normal. I am wondering if it is that way for my fall rate (I am 180lbs, 6' tall), or if I should send it back to have it "streatched" another inch or two(I have 90 days where they will fix any issues free of charge). Last season I had jumped a friends camera jacket and pants, and struggled to keep my fall rate up because there seemed to be too much drag for my body type. Thoughts??

Camera jackets are generally tight at the waist.
It reduces the chance of the jacket creeping up, which is important not only for keeping handles clear, but also to help keep the wing taut, which is where you'll get your fall rate control. Some camera jackets are designed to attach to freefall pants, to prevent them from riding up.

All my wings attached to a ring sewn with binding tape to the leg strap.

As do both of mine. Only because I learned through mistakes early on.:$ However, the point holds true; if the jacket creeps, it can cause handles to be covered, and can change the dynamic of the wing (loose/cupping vs tight, angular).

I had a firefly jacket zipper rip apart on opening one time, it blew the jacket completely covering my handles and had my head pinned down and spinning like a mother! Couldn't find the handles since they were covered i had to peal the right side of the jacket and grab the cutaway and fish like hell for the other one. Last thing i saw was a front yard and house looking at me while facing the ground. And it came out of it at 1200 ft, act of god i'm sure :) "No shit there i was thought i was gonna die"

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Thanks for the input. It makes sense keeping it tight to prevent it from creeping up, its also gota couple snaps connecting to pants. Went with a multi suit fromTony. Was just curious to see its unusual for it to be an honest effort to get it zipped. Would jump it but I'm hibernating until it warms up a bit (10ºf currently). Appreciate the info all!