kallend

Inexpensive video editor recommendations?

I looked in the forum was didn't readily find anything among the thousands of threads.

Now I have a functioning GoPro3 I need to update my video editing software (my Adobe Premiere Version 6.5 is a bit long in the tooth and won't even load on my WIN7 PC).

I don't wish to spend more on the editor than I did on the camera!

Any suggestions?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

FWIW. I bought Sony's latest Vegas suite a few months back. Sony offered a $50 rebate. I've since had to argue w/the company handling the rebate. I'm still trying to get the cash they owe me. Oh, & as for the Software? It totally screwed up my PC& wouldn't run. Even the system restore couldn't fix all the problems it caused. That Software is now a useless paperweight... Wanna buy a Vegas suite? I'll give ya a real good price :|...

I believe windows movie maker is most likely free and already on your system if you are running windows. About as cheap as you will get and still works, sorta of.

Yes, it sorta does.

Any thoughts about Nero?

I believe windows movie maker is most likely free and already on your system if you are running windows. About as cheap as you will get and still works, sorta of.

Yes, it sorta does.

Any thoughts about Nero?

You're a professor. You have more options than everyone else. To be honest with you, I finally gave up on alternatives and am paying adobe monthly for access to the whole suite of products. I do too much with photoshop/illustrator/premiere to not have the latest versions and $2500 is too much every other year. So, I pay $50 a month for it cause I don't have access as a student/teacher.

As an educator you can gain access to _everything_ adobe on 2 computers for $29 a month. ($348 a year)

Edit: See the Adobe Creative Cloud
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Personally I don't believe in going the cheap way... I believe in going the with the best tools for the job at hand and for the best cost I can get it. For me, in the past that has been videonics suite, then to a G4 with imovie... a hell of an up grade. Now we are in the card media world, the new digital age is here... So if I were going to shop for simple easy to use system, I might look to a mac again for my personal videos and movies, using again imovie & idvd etc. Can make your own royalty free music too.

However for a production based set up, I would lean more towards a Vegas pro with production asst. and that is not going to be windows movie maker cheap! I have and use Vegas pro 11 and while it took sometime to learn the program it was not that hard and there is a lot of online help. All depends on what you want to do, what is expensive to one, might be cheap to another.... you got a grand or so tied up in quad chopper. Speaking of that, saw one at the verzion store yesterday for 300 with built in cam you fly on your smart phone, shit's getting crazy I tell ya...
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Yes, it sorta does.

Any thoughts about Nero?

You're a professor. You have more options than everyone else. To be honest with you, I finally gave up on alternatives and am paying adobe monthly for access to the whole suite of products. I do too much with photoshop/illustrator/premiere to not have the latest versions and $2500 is too much every other year. So, I pay $50 a month for it cause I don't have access as a student/teacher.

As an educator you can gain access to _everything_ adobe on 2 computers for $29 a month. ($348 a year)

Thanks, wasn't aware of the Adobe educator offer.

I use power director 10. It's easy to use has lots of features including the ability to download sound files/music written specifically for the program, for free. One of the things I really like is that it renders video faster than the other editors I've seen. Output in several different formats or upload straight to Facebook or YouTube. I think I paid $80. I think v12 is the most recent. Never had a problem with it freezing or creating havoc with other programs. I think there are plug ins for music recording/editing programs too.
"If I can't be my own, I'll feel better dead." Layne Staley

I use power director 10. It's easy to use has lots of features including the ability to download sound files/music written specifically for the program, for free. One of the things I really like is that it renders video faster than the other editors I've seen. Output in several different formats or upload straight to Facebook or YouTube. I think I paid $80. I think v12 is the most recent. Never had a problem with it freezing or creating havoc with other programs. I think there are plug ins for music recording/editing programs too.

I'll look into it.

I went to the Adobe web site to look at educator packages and even tried to purchase. However, their site REALLY doesn't like either Win 7 Pro, or Chrome, or both. If they can't make a simple order form work on a Windows PC I'm not sure I'm about to pay them a lot of money for their software.

John,
Are you running any sort of anti-virus that might be preventing access?
I'm a Win7/Chrome user on several systems, and have no issues with the Adobe purchase/order site.
That said, I'd urge you to try the trial version of Vegas Movie Studio.
Simple learning curve, very fast, works natively with GoPro files.

I'll look into it.

I went to the Adobe web site to look at educator packages and even tried to purchase. However, their site REALLY doesn't like either Win 7 Pro, or Chrome, or both. If they can't make a simple order form work on a Windows PC I'm not sure I'm about to pay them a lot of money for their software.

Dunno, I litereally just did the same thing on W7 Pro + chrome like 2 weeks ago.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

John,
Are you running any sort of anti-virus that might be preventing access?
I'm a Win7/Chrome user on several systems, and have no issues with the Adobe purchase/order site.
That said, I'd urge you to try the trial version of Vegas Movie Studio.
Simple learning curve, very fast, works natively with GoPro files.

Sorry, been tied up with a home remodeling project that took longer than expected (don't they all?). I'll try again with my anti-virus disabled.

Yes, it sorta does.

Any thoughts about Nero?

You're a professor.

Thanks, wasn't aware of the Adobe educator offer.
thats what I love about dz dot com. question asked problem solved:)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

(my Adobe Premiere Version 6.5 is a bit long in the tooth and won't even load on my WIN7 PC).

And

Sounds to me that your PC might be in need of an upgrade as well. The better programs out there take a lot of hardware to work properly and efficiently. I just got a gopro a few months back and have been playing with Sony Vegas 10. The first skiing video I did was 18 min long and I rendered it into 1080P on my old dual core AMD processor with 8gig of ram and windows 7. It took 10 hours to render it before it exploded a capacitor and burnt a hole into the board.

I have since upgraded to a new board (Asus M5A97), chip (AMD 8350), ram(8gig ddr3) and video card(gforcegt440) all for about $500 bucks. My last edit was a 12 min video that only took 30 min to render without blowing up my machine. Just something to think about, I didn't realize just how intensive it is on a PC to do HD video and I learned the hard way.

I am just getting use to Sony vegas and have been playing with video effects, different transitions, filters, keypoints, etc. Just kind of trying everything to see what I like so the files have been huge. The 18 min video was over one gig :o I'm using my own custom rendering settings but based off the sony AVC template in 1920x1080p What would you suggest to be the best rendering settings to go with? Would love to cut down further on the rendering times.

Yeah I guess that would be the first question to answer. Really most of the time it's just for my own personal enjoyment. First thing I do is set the project settings to reflect the video I'm working with (gopro is set to 1080 @ 30fps) and then start editing, I found a few tutorials on line that showed me how to do that, same thing with the render settings (found then on a tutorial online somewhere), like I said I am a newbie with this stuff. :$

I have a media center at home and I like to have the best quality video on things I save so that's what I have been doing so far and most of my edits will stay on my hard drive and not be shared. I say that now but that could change, editing seems to be very addictive lol. I will end up uploading some things to utube in the future I'm sure, for that I just went through a tutorial online for the "best" u-tube 720P settings but I haven't used that to render with yet. Also I might make a few "year end" dvd's but I haven't even started looking into what the best settings would be for a project like that yet...one step at a time.