jesseweyher

Sweet spot on G3 for gopro mount

Saw several of these at CES, in a wide variety of forms.
I found myself asking self, "What kind of fucking idiot would take his iPhone/Droid out as a helmet camera?"

A-Compression is for crap
B-Shutterspeeds are virtually always high, which means "jello-cam"
C-it's an extremely expensive camera to take into "extreme" circumstances for very little gain.

Hey,
I installed a cutaway on my G3. It involved removing the small strap and installing a spring mounted pin with a teflon cable. It is quite neat, it works and is fairly easy to put in. I can post a few pics if anyone is interested.

I would be interested in this. I am not sure how effective a full face cutaway could be if the shell is a single piece but it is better than nothing. I still think the solution is to have the cutaway in the mount itself.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

I agree. It would be shitty but I'm just admiring their cool idea.

FWIW, the idea has been around for a long, long time (since the day the camera and the phone mated)

It was dumb then, dumb now.
We had a director on a shoot who insisted his iPhone be used for a shot, we had no housing. I taped and velcro'd it six ways from Sunday on my FTP, fucked around with it in the plane, and when we got down, he was butthurt because it was lousy video, and that was my fault. Except the footage he was paying for, from the EX1, was beautiful and flawless, mounted roughly 2" above his crappy iPhone.
Just because something has a lens doesn't make it suitable for all kinds of shooting.

The iPhone at 120fps is 640x480.
Shutterspeed not withstanding, the codec is terrible.
Codec not withstanding, it looks significantly worse than any number of 149.00 cameras.

But hey...if someone wants to stick a 500.00 phone on their head, chest, whatever...in a 150.00 box, plus a 50.00 lens kit that isn't nearly the quality of a cheap 150.00 camera...be my guest. :P

on a side note, the 120fps wouldn't remotely match up to the color, gamma, or LUT of the EX...so can't even really be inserted.
I think he just wanted the "cool factor." Wasn't my phone, but I didn't want to be the moron that dropped it, either.

The Pivothead glasses are not usable for skydiving.
At all.
I've got around 20 jumps with them in various conditions.
I can link the Vimeo streams if you really want me to dig them out....this is why Pivothead isn't pushing in our market.

The Pivothead glasses are not usable for skydiving.
At all.
I've got around 20 jumps with them in various conditions.
I can link the Vimeo streams if you really want me to dig them out....this is why Pivothead isn't pushing in our market.

Just my 2 cents and I would like to take the thread back to the initial question of how (if) to mount a GoPro on a G2/3: Spot and Simon have said some IMPORTANT things about this. I switched to a G2 with Contour side mount about 200 jumps ago, at about jump number 400. The side mount works but the (old) Contour gets shifted, kicked off rather easily. In my case this happened a few times caused by the risers, not the PC-bridle. It no longer happens because I got aware of my deployments better and progressed to adjust with a slight timed turning of my head during opening sequence without jeopardising symmetry. For those reading this and not really understanding: This could be due to
1) I am not mother tongue English speaking
2) The known "you don't know what you don't know" syndrome and we should therefore carefully listen to others with more experience and not trust too much in our present experience

Haha I'm glad we're back on track. I have a bunch of curved adhesive mounts so I experimented with sticking a couple on my protec, mounting the gopro and then ripping them off as fast as possible. It took some brute force but in some crazy, snag situation...I think I could tear it off pretty quickly. The contour setup is pretty sexy though.

We need google to do work with their google glass prototype so we can kill it with those =]

Haha I'm glad we're back on track. I have a bunch of curved adhesive mounts so I experimented with sticking a couple on my protec, mounting the gopro and then ripping them off as fast as possible. It took some brute force but in some crazy, snag situation...I think I could tear it off pretty quickly. The contour setup is pretty sexy though.

We need google to do work with their google glass prototype so we can kill it with those =]

Back to reality...
In at least two incidents, the highlyexperienced skydiver was not able to rip the adhesive mount from the helmet. Did you test your theory in a hanging harness with the entire weight of your body on the helmet, twisting and/or spinning? There are currently 3 videos out there showing that the adhesive mounts and plastics under load will not "break easily."

I too, wish Google Glass was an answer. However...if a Teradek box and connected cam over SDI or HDMI won't work from altitude, never/neither shall Google Glass. Golden-i has a similar access, and it won't work even with a Teradek Bond.

No I did not test my theory in a hanging harness or while spinning. Where can I see those videos? You seem very reputable and experienced which is why I trust your input and advice but doesn't it seem crazy that under an intense load of adrenaline a human is capable of lifting a burning car off someone but not able to rip an adhesive off of something while its loading is only rated to about 150mph?

I'm just playing devil's advocate but I definitely want to see those videos. They might just scare me straight.

dragon2

Where exactly is the best spot on top of a g3 to mount a gopro?

On a different helmet. The big problem with fullface helmets like that is that you cannot install a cutaway system. Something that should be mandatory on any camera helmet IMO. So especially for a beginner, a freefly-style open helmet with chincup + cutaway for a camerahelmet, especially with the big-ass hook a go-pro is, is the only way to go IMO.

i installed an aftermarket cutaway system for my bonehead revolve. i have tested it on the ground and it works fine.
gravity brings me down.........