jesseweyher

Sweet spot on G3 for gopro mount

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this question has been covered or not so don't attack me just yet but...

Where exactly is the best spot on top of a g3 to mount a gopro? I'm looking for the spot where you won't see any helmet in video but where the visor will still lift up almost all the way.
I should probably just play with a marker and take photos from different position but was wondering if someone had the perfect sweet spot...

Thanks!

More a reference to all the things that one should think about before sticking a camera on their helmet. Such things as a cut away system (unavailable on G3s), number of suggested jumps prior to jumping a camera and all those pesky things that can go wrong when distracted by having a camera on one's helmet.

In informed decision can prevent mistakes from being made.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I here yuh. Definitely not trying to open up at 1000 ft to get a shot of someone sniveling...I'm assuming the only way to really mount a gopro to a g3 is a curved adhesive, and if something were to snag it you could easily rip it off. Does that qualify as a quick release? =]

I here yuh. Definitely not trying to open up at 1000 ft to get a shot of someone sniveling...I'm assuming the only way to really mount a gopro to a g3 is a curved adhesive, and if something were to snag it you could easily rip it off. Does that qualify as a quick release? =]

Nope. It's best to have a quick release for sure. I had a GoPro/brake line entaglement just a few weeks ago.

At least if you are not going to have a quick release you need to face up to the facts of what could go wrong.

I did an experiment a few years ago that found the plastic mount *could* fail at 20lbs. Other tests have shown it could take more. The 3M tape isn't going to come off unless you pry it off. Puzzles me when I see people screw those mounts on because they don't trust the sticky.

At the very least please don't use those little white rubber things to help keep yer go pro in place. It makes me shudder when I see those and lanyards holding on cheap cameras. Is your life really only worth 250 to save a cheapo camera?

I had a GoPro black booted off my head 2 weeks ago. It's near the quarry in Zhills if anyone wants to look for it. Compared to your life\injury these cameras need to be considered disposable. "Don't cry over lost GoPro".

My theory was I wouldn't likely have a GoPro entaglement because my Wingsuit openings are behind me. That turned out to be a bad assumption! I was lucky, I had altitude on my side to work the problem but I had the cutaway on my mind as I worked to get the line off the GoPro...with my head being pulled to the side and the canopy in a turn.

My theory on a contour is you can slide it off as form of ejection. That won't always work but it is a form of EP that can still be practiced. Again I don't like to see those rubber straps being used to hold them in place.

These cameras aren't going away but I at least wish people faced the realities and didnt go to extra efforts to make them even less forgiving!
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

You still didn't get to hear where the sweet spot on a G3 is though did you!? That is a valid question. I have seen folks get them in just the right spot so they can open the visor still but I don't know if that gives the best camera angle. It would be interesting to hear if there is a best place for a front mount and also rear mount go pro! Of course you can experiment but it looks like a few 1000 have already done that.

I am going to try a G3 myself but am opting for a side mount contour so the location it already predetermined. It's a snag hazard for sure and I would pay extra for a mount that included a release.

The contour has plastic rails that over time have failed on me. I have an old one, I think it will see what it takes to break the rails with a low profile tugging...so to speak.

Where exactly is the best spot on top of a g3 to mount a gopro?

On a different helmet. The big problem with fullface helmets like that is that you cannot install a cutaway system. Something that should be mandatory on any camera helmet IMO. So especially for a beginner, a freefly-style open helmet with chincup + cutaway for a camerahelmet, especially with the big-ass hook a go-pro is, is the only way to go IMO.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

On a different helmet. The big problem with fullface helmets like that is that you cannot install a cutaway system. Something that should be mandatory on any camera helmet IMO. So especially for a beginner, a freefly-style open helmet with chincup + cutaway for a camerahelmet, especially with the big-ass hook a go-pro is, is the only way to go IMO.

I see more and more full face in use which solves a valid issue, getting booted in the face.

So, I have to think a mounting system which has a cutaway would also be valid. The camera and mount is the snag hazard and not the helmet itself. If *someone* would develop a camera mount that had a cutaway or breakaway then it would be a fair compromise...to me at least.

Lets face it, people are going to keep mounting go pro's on non-suitable helmets. No point in putting your head in the sand on that one.

I can't see why a mount couldn't have some sort of hitch pin which could be released upon entanglement.

This bears repeating.
Fucking around with cameras that don't break off (see the video in the Small Camera Incidents thread) has already killed at least one on video, and probably two others that aren't absolutely confirmed.

The little white insert in the gopro footing doesn't hold it to the helmet any more or less than the sticky tape.
What it does is dampen vibration and lessen the chance of the snap-catch breaking/weakening. Having it in place won't make a whit of difference in an entanglement.
There is also the conversation of what kind of jumping one is doing. In RW, there are at least four documented instances of a small format camera being part of an unintentional reserve deployment either in a door or in the air, due to snag on a handle. Some say the appropriate response is to get rid of D ring reserve handles. Smarter ones say "rather than screw around with changing out a D-ring for a pud/soft handle, re-think why you're changing a safer standard to fix an unsafe standard.

If you really want a full-face, there are mounts like the Replay low-boy that will break off easily, that have an open point for the camera to escape. The Contour isn't bad either.

I agree that a cut away system for the mount could be a good idea. But one issue that would have to be dealt with is that if there is an entangelment, there will be lines wrapped around the camera/mount itself. Would the cutaway still be easily accessible in that case? I don't like the idea of having to reach into a bunch of lines with the possibility that I could now have lines wrapped around my hand.

During winter months, I would love to wear a full face with a camera during wingsuit FFCs, but won't do so because of a lack of a cut away system. I have been playing around with a bunch of ideas for my BoneHead Mamba and think I have one that will work. Unfortunately, the tightening system on the G3 is different and not easily retrofitted. I am still working on it from a different angle and might have something. But unless I am very confident it can be as idiot proof as possible to install/use, I won't release it.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Having it in place won't make a whit of difference in an entanglement.

These are what I am referring too:

http://www.chutingstar.com/gear/cookie-contour-mount-stopper

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GOPRO-HD-1080P-SPARE-PART-QUICK-RELEASE-VIBRATION-PLUG-LEASH-TETHER-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqQOKpUE5(wN6RKnBO,C)Wc5Vg~~60_35.JPG

Both are intended to help keep the camera in your possession if an accident should occur. I say let the camera go!

There is actually an official go pro explanation of what that part is:

It is a quick release lock that prevents the camera from popping out of its mount in the event of a heavy rear impact. It’s rare that it happens but important to use that rubber plug/lock in high impact watersports like surfing or kayaking where a big wave or impact with water could hammer the camera from behind. Good to use that lock skiing, too, where a heavy wipeout could lead to a header in the powder.

The dampening is actually a side effect and not the primary use.

If you are going to insist on using these cameras without a cutaway then leave leashes and these little keepers at home.

It's funny, even when I am supportingone of your crusades you seem to find a way to argue with me! ;)

At the very least please don't use those little white rubber things to help keep yer go pro in place.

The "little white things" that come with the GoPro camera are different than the lanyards that don't come with the GoPro and are sold by third-party vendors.
There would be no argument, had the original comment you posted been accurate.:P
It's always hard to hit a constantly moving target.:D

I'm new to these forums so I'm not entirely sure on how to reply without replying to one post specifically but ANYWAYS.

Thanks dude, lots of awesome information just in these few replies. Kind of turned off by my original mounting idea now. You all may have saved my life, thanks!

Jesse

The real question here is why isn't the helmet manufacturers making a full face helmet with the ability to mount a go pro/contour camera without snag points or MORE importantly with a quick release? Skysystems tried to do it a while ago with the sidewinder but I haven't seen anything recently. It seems to me that they are WAY behind the times as these cameras have been out for a while now (meaning long before the G3 and most of the newer helmets from other manuf. came out) but yet they seem to be missing the boat on making a helmet that is requested by their customers.

Or is it that no one from manufacturers browse these forums and we as individuals don't relay our desires to the manufacturers. I personally have been waiting for at least the past 8 years for a good full face camera helmet - even a dedicated one. But haven't found anyone who makes one - even custom.

there have been full-face helmets made with molding to go around larger/older cameras. I suspect they're just not popular.
Someone will correct me here, I'm sure, but I believe full-face were originally created for RW and being kicked in the head. It wasn't until recently that RW jumpers started wearing cameras.
Other disciplines have begun using full-face, but that's not the original aim.
Square 1, Deltagear, Chutingstar all offer lowered snag-risk helmet mounts for some of the cameras, and Cookie has a nice side mount option, Bonehead Revolve has some nice options, and using systems like the RePlay are likely the best options we'll see for a while. How big can the market really be? The cost of tooling up a new helmet is pretty high.

Its a shame no manufacturer has yet come out with a topmounted full face helmet akin to the old Sidewinder that Skysystems used to make.

A top mounted camera/box, similar design, with a smooth cover that would fit several sizes of action cam (only the lens showing), would for sure make a helmet completely snag free and (arguably) a cutaway something to less worry about.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Crazy idea, but since the gopro 3 is so small, would it not be possible to create a new internal mounting position in the chin of the helmet?
This way you can bypass snag hazards, bashing your camera, and won't interfere with sliding of the visor. Most importantly you could make it so you can see the record light blinking, so no more "dude, is my gopro on?"

Crazy idea, but since the gopro 3 is so small, would it not be possible to create a new internal mounting position in the chin of the helmet?
This way you can bypass snag hazards, bashing your camera, and won't interfere with sliding of the visor. Most importantly you could make it so you can see the record light blinking, so no more "dude, is my gopro on?"

Have you ever tried a chins-eye-view? Chins look at other chins and shoulders and arm pits IMO. Not very epic the way I'm imagining it, but I could be wrong. Try it and post the vid.

The "is my camera recording" question was dealt with years ago by tacking a small convex mirror to the alti. It lets people answer their own question

How big can the market really be? The cost of tooling up a new helmet is pretty high.

I agree with you on this. But this argument holds no water when you consider helmets like the G3. That is a new helmet (remember the G2?). They had to tool up for the G3. Although to be fair, I don't know how much of the tool had to change to make the G3 or is it a new tool all together? Either way, you can't claim that they didn't think about these small form factor cameras in the design process. They make a side mount specifically for the contour. All they really have had to do is make that mount in such a way as it isn't a snag hazard (or at least reduce the potential of a snag). They of course chose not to do that.

As many people I see asking questions about how to mount a camera on the helmet, also means that the market is not small. Although how many people are willing to pay for a good mount is an entirely different discussion. ;) I would, but then again I don't bitch about the cost of skydiving equipment like so many people seem to do.

Outside of that, I agree completely with everything you said. B|