PhreeZone

Motion Image Photography

The future is pretty awesome! Can't wait to see where all of this goes in the next few years as the price and sizes shrink, and memory becomes faster and cheaper.

4K gives you about an 8M image. Depending on how you use those pixels, you can get fantastic quality for enlargements at 8M.

I have 11x14 prints from years ago taken with an old 8M canon SLR. For portrait type pics where you are pretty close to the subject, they enlarge perfectly. In fact, for most of my prints at that size (from studio shoots) you really can't tell the difference in the pics shot at 8M, 10M, 12M or 18M.

The ideas and concepts in the video are pretty sweet. I think it is a ways off for mainstream photographers (a few years), and probably a little further out for skydive applications, but still pretty awesome.

That camera is about 12K USD right now... but the Hero3 says it can do 4K also. Have any of you Hero 3 owners tried to export stills? The idea of a sensor that small really getting good 4K images seems hard to swallow... but I'd be interested to see how it does at 1/30th the cost, and probably 1/30th the size/weight.

That camera is about 12K USD right now... but the Hero3 says it can do 4K also. Have any of you Hero 3 owners tried to export stills? The idea of a sensor that small really getting good 4K images seems hard to swallow... but I'd be interested to see how it does at 1/30th the cost, and probably 1/30th the size/weight.

The difference in quality is much greater than the difference in price.

4K on the GoPro is a bulletpoint. That's about it.

You'll see a couple new 4K cameras next week at CES (I'll see what I can shoot while there). Expect several new 4K cameras at NAB in April (at least 3 I'm aware of).
Expect the price to drop in half in the next year as the early adopters defray the cost of product dev and gear-up, just like with HD, and with AVCHD to AVC-I.
Start studying now on HEVC, and get familiar with MPEG...as said here almost 6 years ago...MPEG has changed up what we can do at all resolutions. Really excited for 4K and what it offers us, when combined with even low grade glass and a medium-sized sensor.