kallend

GoPro question

I bought my first GoPro this week, a GP3 Silver. Put in 32GB SD card, charged battery, took just one photo.

Now it won't turn on at all. Battery voltage is fine. If I plug into a PC I get a "device not recognized" message and no connection. Plugging the SD card directly into the PC I can see the photo I took.

Camera, however, is completely inert.

Before I send it back, any suggestions? Have I missed something?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Your problem is you have too many jumps to operate a GoPro. You need to have less then 50 jumps to fully understand how easy they are to use, just turn it on and forget it.:S:P

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Pull the battery, leave it out for a minute.
What is your computer OS?
Card type?

First thing I tried. Left battery out for 10 minutes. Still inert.

Tried on XP and on a WIN7 (64 bit) machines, same result. Card is a Sandisk micro sdhd, rating 10. PC can read the card directly, no problem. Gives "unknown device" when camera is plugged in.

Your problem is you have too many jumps to operate a GoPro. You need to have less then 50 jumps to fully understand how easy they are to use, just turn it on and forget it.:S:P

So I should give away some of my jumps?

I know this suggestion is WAY out there but, I haven't heard you say anything like "after I read all the directions" I still couldn't make it work. Maybe assuming it is a toy, reading the full directions is not part of the procedure...:S

I read the manual. I AM a geek.

Odd thing is that the battery and camera are warm as if something is drawing current, yet no status lights, nothing on the screen screen, no response to the power switch.

I dont know if you can do this, but can you do a full format of the card while in the camera, connected via USB lead, and use a good card formating software.

Nope. PC won't talk to the camera at all. Nothing works at all. Totally dead.

Their customer service SUCKS. Can't send it back without an authorization code, and customer "service" still hasn't got back to me. No phone number to call and shout at them, just contact by a web form.

Their customer support has diminished as they've grown. Difficult for me to even reach friends inside the company these days. But...they're now a billion $$ company, sold in Walmart, no longer a bunch of awesome guys hanging out at sporting events.

However...they do generally turn product around very fast. I sent in a Black just before Christmas, had a new one arrive today. It took 3 days for customer service to send me my RMA#.

Good luck~!

Still no response to my RMA 3 days later. However I encountered a guy with a GP3 Black that won't focus who filed his RMA 10 days ago, and he still hasn't heard back either.

I'll be at CES tomorrow; I'll see if I can learn anything more about GP's service strategy. My guess is that they're overloaded with calls for return.
Can you return it to the retailer for a refund/exchange?

I have problems with usb also.. it would read the file through the camera it would lock up.. finally i had to use a pci e card usb ports to see the camera.. my mother board ports somehow cannot do it.. the problem i mainily have is when charging and unplugging the usb cable it locks up and the back red light glows dim.. have to remove the battery.. almost always anything to do with the usb and camera it locks up.. battery does get warm.. i have not contacted the company yet as i just got back home.. also some 64 gig sandisk cards have problems with some operating systems.. found that in my search.. tony

i have not contacted the company yet as i just got back home.. also some 64 gig sandisk cards have problems with some operating systems.. found that in my search.. tony

Well, maybe it's a waste of time contacting them. I STILL have not had a response.

It took a good week or so for me to get a reply, holiday backlog.

More than a week now. Nothing from GoPro. ZIP

SO I went to Amazon, from whom I ordered it in the first place. They shipped a replacement camera within an hour of my first contact with them.

Big difference between good customer service and treating your customers like dirt.

Hey that is cool you got a replacement that fast. While I agree with you to an extent, I also will point out, that IMHO the reply times I got were reasonable, there was even a note when I submitted my report saying, no one was in due to the holidays and there is a heavy back log, but they will get you.

With in a week I got this reply:

I would truly like to apologize for the delayed response. We’ve been experiencing a higher than normal email volume lately, and we’re doing our best to answer everyone as quickly as possible in the order in which we were contacted. Thanks for your patience.

I'm terribly sorry to hear that you have a spot on the lens causing issue with the picture. Could you please send me some photos (under 5mb) taken with the camera as well as upload some sample footage to YouTube and provide me the link so that I may see whats going on with the camera?

Many Thanks,

Zack
GoPro Support
gopro.com/support

I complied and with the requested video & stills & a few days got this second reply:

Unfortunately it sounds like there could be a fault with the camera, and we'll need to go ahead with replacing your unit under warranty. To get the process started, can you please reply via e-mail with a copy of your purchase receipt to show you are within the warranty period, the camera's serial number located inside the battery compartment, and also follow the below link to enter your return shipping info for the replacement camera:

Enter Address Here.

Once we hear back, we'll be able to provide you with a RMA (returns authorization) and returns instructions.

Our apologies for the inconvenience, but we'll do our best to get you a fully functioning replacement as soon as possible.

Many Thanks,

Zack
GoPro Support
gopro.com/support

Now the kicker is my issue was self resolved and I won't e needing to return the unit to them... I didn't mind the wait for them to contact me because I kept playing around with it while I waited. I know that was not available to you, and I would not be happy as well.

Blow it off, prob solved and now go out and get us some cool UFO footage...
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Does anyone know the photo frame rate while shooting video at the same time? I have searched thru the specs but don't see that any where in the specs? What i did find but it does not give a simultaneous frame rate?

Photo Modes

12, 7, 5MP resolutions
Burst: 30 photos per second
Continuous Photo: 3 photos per second, 5 photos per second, 10 photos per second
Time-lapse: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 second intervals
Simultaneous Photo + Video:
12MP + 1440p24 fps
8MP + 1080p30 fps 8
8MP + 720p60 fps

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................