nigel99

Getting used to jumping camera.

This isn't a scary story thread or a request for advice, rather passing on the story of my first few camera jumps.

First of all I have been jumping the same gear for just on a year, prior to putting on the camera. That includes my helmet with cutaway and chin cup. I have been 'technically' allowed to jump camera for most of the past year, but I didn't feel ready.

A few weeks ago, I got fully debriefed by the dzso clipped the gopro on and went off to do my first camera jump. The jump was a solo from 5k out of a 182. I had intended to turn the camera on for the jump but forgot to.

One thing that really strikes me, is the amount a gopro sticks out on top. It requires conscious effort to maintain awareness of the potential snag hazard, when in the plane and on climbout.

I appreciate freefliers jump with cameras, but it's pretty clear that if you do rw (like I do), you need to plan the exit, and remove the camera for certain linked exits.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Learn how the camera works well before you get on a load. Seems basic, but something to think about. I had a chop during my 1st year and was relaxed because I had a plan and stuck to it.

Completely agree. I had been using my previous gopro in the sea.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

One thing that really strikes me, is the amount a gopro sticks out on top. It requires conscious effort to maintain awareness of the potential snag hazard, when in the plane and on climbout.

But but but there so small.... no snag hazard...:S:D
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Just wait till you're hanging $1000 worth of a DSLR off the top of your helmet.

Ya get REAL careful with where your head goes. :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message