jonno

Bigger wings - Will I sacrifice manoeuvrability ?

I'm a chunky fast faller currently flying with a medium sized wing and I'm flying my body to the best of my slow fall ability but I'm still sinking out on floaty large ways and find it hard to get up easily if I get below smaller formations. I'm considering a bigger wing and my questions are - a) Will I loose manoeuvrability? b) Can I expect to back slide more and if so will vented booties help ? c) How large can I practically go with camera wings ? d) Will a stiffer wing material help? Looking forward to hearing some feedback - Thanks

I'm not a big guy, but jumped big wings for a while... Bigger wings will give you more range for sure, but any time you are hanging everything out to grab as much air as you can, you will be less nimble. With all wings, you can always collapse them and fly with your elbows in. This is how I prefer to fly; helps the backslide issue, and is more nimble, and can use the wings for exit and as needed in freefall.

My jumpsuit this year I went back to Med wings with big booties. Not sure I'm totally sold on the huge booties, but you can use them to slow down. I blew a wing on one jump and went down to the level of the formation, and went "tunnel style" to slow down by putting my arms out like super man and straight legs close together. I shot up as fast as (faster?) than I usually do just hitting my wings. In general flying with my legs out/more positive I am able to use less wing and fly closer to a mantis position with my elbows lower than my head, and hands close to my face. So that might be something to consider...

You'll be a lot more maneuverable with big wings in the same situation than you are now clinging to the edge of your fall rate range. Cordura booties with pockets will definitely help to balance the big wings, but I have a 2-piece camera suit without booties and it's still pretty manageable with large wings.

Lance