peedeepalmer

Skyhook/RSL for Camera Flying

Are there any hard stats available or is this all based on experience?

I'm a new camera flyer and am on the fence about whether or not to disconnect my RSL. However, the dropzone I want to work for requires me to disconnect it otherwise I can't jump camera there. I want to be at peace with this decision...I also know that if I provide more hard facts, if my choice is to leave it connected, they would be open at looking at that and changing the rule. Help?

I don't believe it's up to you to prove that the RSL saves lives; there is more than enough information that they do.
Your DZO's rules are his rules, but aside from inviting legal action in the event something should occur, it also seems incumbent upon them to demonstrate statistical information showing that RSL's have hurt more people than those assisted.
At the end of the day, it's the DZ's rules, whether they're very smart or not. Me? I'd question a DZ that has such a rule and seek another DZ if possible.
Otherwise, SUICC.

I have Bonehead Revolve full face with camera not on the top of helmet but on the side. Beside that camera has sharp edges and is outside not in the box so its easier to catch some lines. Thats how they sell it. What do you think about full face helmets is that make any sense to mount cutaway system? I think it would be difficult to get rid of full face helmet anyway

Don't you think you've answered your own question above?
Although I have jumped full-face systems with a stick on camera, it's not something I'll regularly do, simply because I don't care for the odds. Too many friends in this sport have found themselves in entanglements; at least one of them likely would not have survived without a cutaway on his helmet.
I'm a believer in cutaway systems. If you can't cutaway the helmet, or don't have a cutaway system that will work under load that will release the camera, it's not something I'd recommend jumping.

Just to let you know the last accident in Poland guy had 1800 jumps instructor he jumped with wingsuit 2 cameras rsl and elliptical canopy. Cutingaway was ok but later he had problem with his reserve and camera. He died

Are you suggesting the RSL was responsible for the outcome?
From third-hand information on the fatality, I believe this isn't the case.

Just to let you know the last accident in Poland guy had 1800 jumps instructor he jumped with wingsuit 2 cameras rsl and elliptical canopy. Cutingaway was ok but later he had problem with his reserve and camera. He died

under the same logic you can say that Cypres kills....
If you deploy your main too late and the Cypres fires at the same time and both canopies entangled - you are dead .

You must know and practice the EP for every situation!!!!
cut away the helmet if needed, (RSL)
go directly to reserve if you are too low.

Good luck

I think all these things together it was very bad combination. As we know with elliptical canopies is easier to have line twist. With wingsuits there are also more cutingaways. I know in some dropzones they are completely banned no matter how skilled you are. Statistics say it's better to have RSL but I don't like it. I'm sure if that guy would deploy his reserve from flat and stable body position everything would be ok. I know about someone with 25000 jumps with no cuting away but he doesn't jump wit wingsuit and ellipical canopies. When you have line twist your body have some energy. I'm sure you know very well mass X speed = momentum What will happen with that energy after cutingaway? It must be spent in some way. If you'll not lose it before you pull reserve it will go in to your canopy and you can have another line twist or something else. I dont think RSL kills like Cypres because Cypres kills when it's your fault but RSL doesnt ask you how hard is your line twist or what is your body position so you can't have that control.

I think all these things together it was very bad combination. As we know with elliptical canopies is easier to have line twist. With wingsuits there are also more cutingaways. I know in some dropzones they are completely banned no matter how skilled you are. Statistics say it's better to have RSL but I don't like it. I'm sure if that guy would deploy his reserve from flat and stable body position everything would be ok. I know about someone with 25000 jumps with no cuting away but he doesn't jump wit wingsuit and ellipical canopies. When you have line twist your body have some energy. I'm sure you know very well mass X speed = momentum What will happen with that energy after cutingaway? It must be spent in some way. If you'll not lose it before you pull reserve it will go in to your canopy and you can have another line twist or something else. I dont think RSL kills like Cypres because Cypres kills when it's your fault but RSL doesnt ask you how hard is your line twist or what is your body position so you can't have that control.

Far more people have died trying to achieve a "flat stable body position" than have died due to RSL.
But, to each his own. I don't have a problem with someone making their own decision, whether they do or don't have all the information. However, I do find myself wondering about a DZ that would ban RSL's altogether.

Yes thats true you are right. With wingsuit it can take even longer come back to stable position but that position 2 seconds after cutingaway with head up is not too bad to deploy reserve. I dont jump with winguit at all, I deploy my main higher to heve enough time, I dont use RSL and now I wanna sell my elliptical canopy and I'll buy Sabre 2. I was writring about dropzone where wingsuits are banned not RSL. I can send you some picrure from neewspaper about it

I went through this debate about 8 years ago when I started flying cameras, and at the time I decided to disconnect the RSL (and my current rig got built without one). I haven't actually had any chops since then, but all these recent incidents have me reconsidering my old decision, and possibly putting an RSL on my rig.

A question which I'm sure I asked a long time ago and found the answer to and have since forgotten: does anybody know off the top of their head of any incident reports where an RSL/camera combo actually caused a problem? I am well aware that even if these reports do exist, they're almost certainly much less frequent than those where RSL's would have helped.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hey Matt...

I have two rigs. My primary one is a Vector3 with a Skyhook RSL. My backup rig is a Wings with a standard RSL. I've had a bunch of chops (enough to be embarrassed by) on the Vector3. To date, I've not had one on the Wings (although I've only had it two seasons, and since it's a backup, I don't use it anywhere near as much).

I feel so much more comfortable jumping with the Skyhook than without... Yes, there is an additional theoretical entanglement risk due to the Skyhook that has been explained to me... But (I'm knocking wood here) to date that risk has been managed by a forward head tilt (not exaggerated, just what I would need to do to actually look at my handles) and a bit of luck. I'm sticking with mine, personally...
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

The111

A question which I'm sure I asked a long time ago and found the answer to and have since forgotten: does anybody know off the top of their head of any incident reports where an RSL/camera combo actually caused a problem? I am well aware that even if these reports do exist, they're almost certainly much less frequent than those where RSL's would have helped.

I don't know of anything in the incident reports.
I do know a first-hand account of an RSL-deployed main catching on a fairly large camera. The person ended up possessing the super-human strength required to tear the camera off his helmet. The 1/4 mount ripped out of the bottom of the plastic camera.