steveorino

Problems with GoPro 3 Hero Black

There should have been a placard in the box telling you where to download the manual (link provided in above post)

Leave W/B in automode for best results; however the camera does tend to over, rather than under expose.
You can also tweak it in ProTune.

What you are seeing is the exposure setting in the plane and not re-calibrating when exiting. GoPro is aware of this and the only work around is to either shoot in 2fps or look out a window/door when you start recording. Kinda sucks, but sounds like they are at least on top of it and in the past are good at coming up with firmware updates.

The HERO3 Black Edition locks exposure on the first picture of time-lapse photos at 0.5 and 1 sec intervals which was initially a request by customers to reduce the cycling exposure.
Now that we implemented that, we've had sky divers call in about this with complaints due to their specific uses.. They start the time-lapse inside the plane, which is a darker environment than outside. When they jump out into the brighter environment outside the plane, all of the photos are overexposed since exposure was set and locked inside the plane.

This is something that we will attempt to address through a future update. The current workaround is to use 2 sec intervals or higher.

Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

More updates looks like a fix is coming out soon:

We apologize for the difficulties that this is causing and want to thank your for sharing concern and your picture with us.

We are aware of the exposure issue and it is something important that we are working on. We are working on a fix so that camera will re-adjust the exposure, however we don't have a specific time frame of when this fix will be available.

Here is my current GoPro 3 issue list.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Trying to finish the "part 2" of the camera shootout, which includes the GP3, but a short comment...you might as well by a GP2 for the huge cost savings, if you're considering a Silver or White.
Two GP3/Black have been returned from our DZ in the past week. I'm keeping my two in hopes of an update, but the image quality comparison between the GP2 and GP3 in p30 and p60 modes is negligible. Certainly not worth abandoning an existing GP2 over.

I do enjoy the 2.7K mode especially since taking screen grabs seem perfect. The 720 is noticeable lower quality but the 120fps is sick. The number 1 complaint I hear is people saying their footage is playing back "choppy" due to their slow computer processor. First try a different player and if that doesn't work, you'll need to handbrake it. I find playing in sony vegas seems to always work fine.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Another issue for the list:
Hero 3 black + new style (black) battery bacpack + wifi enabled = camera won't stay off. If I press the power button on the camera or on the wifi remote, the Black shuts down for 3 seconds, then powers back up. I have a support ticket in to GoPro on this. So far in our 5 or 6 emails, its gone back and forth between camera being the cause vs. battery packs bring the cause. I have two of these packs, and the same issue happens with both.

Chris

Are you saying all the black edition cameras will have this problem, as I am waiting for the release here in the UK next week.

GoPro hasn't given me a final answer yet. First week they said it must the battery pack, then they said must be the camera, now they're saying it may be a string of battery packs with certain serial numbers.

SN on mine are both in this range:
BBP2A0912000XXX

The XXX part on mine are a little over 500 apart, so if it is the battery packs, a lot of them may be affected. These packs both work fine on my Silver, so the explanation seems odd.

Chris

Good to know and I will add it to the list. Every once in a while I get it locked into a weird mode where I need to remove the battery and then put it back in the camera. I had similar issues with the GoPro HD's when they first came out but it was then fixed in firmware at a future date.

The biggest thing I found is to give it a few seconds from stopping it before you shut off the camera. Its a surefire way to create a corrupted file. turning the camera back on generally fixes it it's self but this utility works well if your file gets corrupted for another reason: HD Video Repair Utility

I got a chance to mess around with the low light performance this weekend and was very impressed. Of course noise, but man it was nice for my application: Sunset/Twighlight Paragliding tow

And some stupidness out of the balloon for testing the 1080P 60FPS: McConkey with Speedwing out of a HotAir Balloon
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

i have the gopro3 black and im really having a hard time with it, seems like it will freeze up if i record in 4k, have to remove battery every time and the video never is saved.

what kind of settings do you guys use for low light?
whitebalance auto or 3k?
protune?
so far i am really dissapointed with this cam, hopefully ive just got it set up wrong.
also what can i use for lighting at night? will some IR leds work? any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

What card are you using? Sure I highly (only) recommend SanDisk class 10 microsd cards. This is very important for shooting at the higher modes.

the card I got with it is a class 6. Looks like I'll be getting a new micro sd

any info on the settings for lowlight?
how about external lighting via IR leds?
thanks
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

I'm thinking of getting a GoPro 3 for my r/c quadcopter but occasional skydiving and underwater use.

Is it possible to switch between wide angle and normal lens, or do you have to buy one or the other, or is there only one? I see from the blurb that the field of view is adjustable but is this via the lens or in software?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.