aerialcameraman

Post Camera helmet with flash

Hey Ryan, there's a guy at Skydive Midwest that has an aluminum box for his mounted between his helmet and his quick release for his CX. It raises the CX up a bit higher than the still. Sorry I didn't get a pic of it, but I think I've seen it on here somewhere. Hey Jason, will it cast a shadow mounted back there? I think it will, especially if you're still using the Century lens. My Canon 10-22 lens has a 77mm filter, and it is big enough to make the pop up flash cast a shadow.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Is the strap to help it stay on and where did u get That

Yes & he made it..... for real Ryan, have you ever made anything before? I've known you for a long time now and you always ask some basic and silly questions in regards to setting up a camera helmet and or other camera gear that have been covered to death. Nothing wrong with asking, again but.... This the first camera helmet you've built? A little common sense goes a long way.....

A quick search in the search window yields a thread with many pics posted by a great deal of camera flyers on here.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2163900;search_string=Flash%20set%20up;#2163900

For real cuz..... :P
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Thanks Chris. Yes I've jumped for a while and have set my helmet up in different ways. I'm just getting ideas on the best way to mount it vertically behind my camera but it has to set up a little off the plate. I would like to mount it that way and not have o worry about it comin off the helmet. Gettin ideas from someone is not silly. They have tested it and I have not. Looking Gina good way is all. I don't have time to make things that's why I ask.

Here are two shots of my current set-up on a SkySystems Wes Pro. Canon DSLR, Sony CX150 or CX100, and Canon 420 Flash with remote flash extender cord. Takes me about a minute to add it to my non-flash set-up.

That is basically how I will have mine set up.

Chris... Not sure I want the flash head pointed directly at the subject. Up angle 1 notch and it should be no problem. No sense in blinding the subject unless the TI deserves it :P

You need one of these to mount behind the CX. http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Stand-Adapter-4-inch-Tripod/dp/B005HTZJBY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1350674553&sr=8-7&keywords=hot+shoe+adapter
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

But does it leave a shadow with it mounted back there? I assume it's mounted with a hot shoe adapter.

No, I haven't gotten a shadow line, although my flash coverage isn't as wide a my lens. In freefall though, there often isn't anything at the extreme edges of the frame to be lit by flash.

Yes it is mounted with a hot shoe adapter that is bolted to a custom-made quick-release system that matches my camera mounts.

Here's a link to my facebook page with my Tonfly Shark 4X top fully loaded. Canon T2i w/15mm lens and a CX150 w/.3 Raynox lens and a 380ex Flash. I made the flash bracket my self and have an extra one if you want to buy it.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.294585830564886.70285.163697600320377&type=3
Kamuran "Sonic" Bayrasli
The Ranch PROshop
Buy Baby Buy!