PhreeZone

GoPro 3 on Preorder

GoPro just announced that the Hero3 is hitting PreOrder tonight. Specs on it look incredible 4k@ 15fps, 2.7K @30fps, 30frames in 1 second @ 12MP in stills mode is what has been floating around. Might have to finally break down and get a GoPro with a camera like this. Widh it going to 4K @30fps but that is wishing for a lot!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/16/gopro-hd-hero3/

Black Edition is $399 with WiFi
Silver Edition is $299 with 11MP stills
White edition is $199 with 5MP stills
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

NICE!!

My questions:

How many seconds will the photo burst mode (30fps) work? What resolution?

How does the simultaneous photo/video feature work and what kind of resolution can you shoot while using both?

Does it perform better in low light situations?

Can you change the lenses now to make it less wide/fisheye?

Could this possibly mean that the GoPro 3 Black edition will be phasing out the Sony CX cameras for us skydivers & even videographers perhaps for tandems? (video only not pictures)

Obviously they used to be 2 completely separate categories, but now that fine line seems to be blending/merging ever so quickly.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Could this possibly mean that the GoPro 3 Black edition will be phasing out the Sony CX cameras for us skydivers & even videographers perhaps for tandems? (video only not pictures)

Obviously they used to be 2 completely separate categories, but now that fine line seems to be blending/merging ever so quickly.

I don't do video for tandems, but I can tell you that most of the videographers at my dz have switched to GoPros for both video and stills. One camera set to video, one set to stills. The quality is just as good if not better, and they're not carrying nearly as much weight on their necks.

Release dates:
Silver - In 2 weeks
Black - Late November

I'll answer the below as far as the black edition is concerned.

1 second burst / 12MP. However if you use continuous you can shoot at x frames per second until it reaches 30 frames. Good for landings or exits.

How does the simultaneous photo/video feature work and what kind of resolution can you shoot while using both?

(Photo ever 5seconds, 10, 30, 60 or manually triggered)
One 12MPixel still while recording video in 1440p24 fps
One 8MPixel still while recording video in 1080p30 fps
One 8MPixel still while recording video in 720p60 fps

Does it perform better in low light situations?

"Better" - Still don't know but the sensor is more sensitive according to the sell sheets

Can you change the lenses now to make it less wide/fisheye?

Just like the gopro 2 you can change the FOV. However, on the black you have a nice piece of glass that allows you to do this with less distortion (according to the sell sheets)
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

does anyone know if you can still shoot video at full quality at 170degree angle? They have made the lens flatter so i was thinking this may no longer be possible, i can't find any info on this online. I would be using this for handycam as many others will so a 170 degree lens would be important.

Thanks for any replies

1 second burst / 12MP. However if you use continuous you can shoot at x frames per second until it reaches 30 frames. Good for landings or exits.

So does this mean you can't just set it to take a photo every 2 seconds or whatever until you land?? As in it will stop taking photos once its reached 30 shots?
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

I am a little confused with the new spec, what is the shooting at 4k and 2.7k and how is it different from 1080, 720 ext ?

Higher resolution, more pixels. Like this video, select original quality from the video quality settings to get 4k resolution.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I am a little confused with the new spec, what is the shooting at 4k and 2.7k and how is it different from 1080, 720 ext ?

Higher resolution, more pixels. Like this video, select original quality from the video quality settings to get 4k resolution.

WOW quite the difference, thanks!

So does this mean you can't just set it to take a photo every 2 seconds or whatever until you land?? As in it will stop taking photos once its reached 30 shots?

Quoting from the GoPro website on the black edition spects:

Photo Modes

12, 7, 5MP resolutions
Burst: 30 photos per second
Continuous Photo: 3 photos per second, 5 photos per second, 10 photos per second
Time-lapse: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 second intervals
Simultaneous Photo + Video:
12MP + 1440p24 fps
8MP + 1080p30 fps 8
8MP + 720p60 fps

The "Time Lapse" is still there so will take a photo every 2 seconds or whatever until you land and switch it off.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

I shoot tandems and I recently swiched from a cx115 to a go pro2 and it wins hands down. I dont understand why people seem to think the go pro isnt good for tandems. It frickin rocks!

Ok, we can disregard stabilization, but sound quality? Even out of the case, sound from GP2 is terrible (regarding tandem interviews).
dudeist skydiver #42

I shoot tandems and I recently swiched from a cx115 to a go pro2 and it wins hands down. I dont understand why people seem to think the go pro isnt good for tandems. It frickin rocks!

Ok, we can disregard stabilization, but sound quality? Even out of the case, sound from GP2 is terrible (regarding tandem interviews).

Yeah, thats true. But as I have said earlier also, this is easy to fix with a small and cheap external microphone. (prices start from less than 10€)