mircan

Tokina AT-X 17mm?

save your pennies for a canon 15mm (or the 10-22mm). if you cant afford it then get a sigma 15mm. if either of those are not worth the amount you make in tandems, then just keep the kit lens. i have had at least 7 magazine photos with the kit lens. it is just fine.
dont let life pass you by

I found also reasonably cheap used Canon 10-22, just doing the $$$ math

Do the weight math while you're at it. The 15mm weighs about twice as much as the kit lans, and the 10-22 is another ounce on top of that. Also consider the size, the 15 is smaller than the kit lens, but the 10-22 is bigger than both of them, so the extra weight is hanging further out from your head.

I've used the Tokina AT-X 17mm and now use the Canon 10-22mm.

The 10-22 is much better then the 17mm by a long shot.

I agree with the first response that the Tokina is pretty soft for a prime and the CA is much greater on it then with the 10-22.

I would recommend the Canon 10-22 long before the Tokina 17.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

After couple of good tandem weekends ($$$) I have decided to go with new Canon 10-22.
Now, here is the dilemma. For the price of 10-22 i can get new EOS 600D (T3i), with kit lens of course.

What will give me better results? New lens on old camera or kit lens on new camera? :S

My old 400D is still in reasonably good condition.

dudeist skydiver #42

The body is as important to a photographer as a canvas is to a painter. The lens is as important as a brush is.

You already have a good canvas, changing to a sligthly better one wont make your paintings much better. However the brush you are using is too thick for tandems IMO. Its difficult to paint well with a brush that is too thick. You need the right tools for the job.

Changing from 18mm to 17mm wont make a difference, but the 10-22 will give you a variety of brush tools to choose from. Definetly go for the 10-22.

better glass is more critical then updating the body (in this case)

if you were considering a 5D MkIII then it would be a different story... but in this case with the smaller frame (APS Sensor) you probably won't see a substiantial difference between the 400d and the 600d.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...