DBCOOPER

GoProing it with a CX100

Picked up a CX100 used on fleabay, cheaper than I can buy a GoPro2 and am thinking about using like a GoPro ie no sight, no cameye just mounted on a protec for use once in a while. Trying to figure out a simple inexpensive way to mount it and just turn it on manually just prior to use. Any suggestions?
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

On a Protec? Drill a 1/4 hole right in the helmet itself, insert 1/4 screw, and attach the camera.

I would look for a big fender washer to put inside the helmet to spread the load out a little. The screw head alone could bend the plastic and come out, but a 1" or 1.5" fender washer would solve that. You might need to 'adjust' the washer with a hammer so it matches the curve of the helmet, if it even curves much up at the top.

You could also run a strap or zip-tie through some of the vent holes up top and over the top of the camera as a back-up.

The problem with the CX100 is that you need to open the screen to turn the camera on. Mayeb stick with a velcro strap over the camera, then you could undo the strap, open the screen and flip it around and fold it back it so that it's on with the screen tucked in, and then re-do the strap. Then you can just hit record as you go out of the door.

There may be a way to make it so you can run the camera with the screen closed, but you still might need to open it to turn it on.

On a Protec? Drill a 1/4 hole right in the helmet itself, insert 1/4 screw, and attach the camera.

I would look for a big fender washer to put inside the helmet to spread the load out a little. The screw head alone could bend the plastic and come out, but a 1" or 1.5" fender washer would solve that. You might need to 'adjust' the washer with a hammer so it matches the curve of the helmet, if it even curves much up at the top.

You could also run a strap or zip-tie through some of the vent holes up top and over the top of the camera as a back-up.

The problem with the CX100 is that you need to open the screen to turn the camera on. Mayeb stick with a velcro strap over the camera, then you could undo the strap, open the screen and flip it around and fold it back it so that it's on with the screen tucked in, and then re-do the strap. Then you can just hit record as you go out of the door.

There may be a way to make it so you can run the camera with the screen closed, but you still might need to open it to turn it on.

You don't need to open the screen, nor do you need a hypeye. In the menu is a setting for this.
Be sure you have something to keep the camera pointed straight forward. The cam is designed to have a stud holding the camera forward in addition to the center-thread receiver.

One of my helmets frequently is used this way.

I've looked at some of the quick release plates and none of them seem to have the alignment pin like a tripod mount does.Wonder why?

>I've looked at some of the quick release plates and none of them seem to have the
>alignment pin like a tripod mount does.Wonder why?

Because "aligned to the plate" often does not equal "aligned to your ringsight." And it's easier to adjust the camera (twist and retighten) than adjust the plate (remove four screws and re-drill.)

However if you put the time into aligning everything beforehand there is no reason you couldn't do that. You could easily drill and tap a hole for an additional alignment pin in most mounting plates.

I've looked at some of the quick release plates and none of them seem to have the alignment pin like a tripod mount does.Wonder why?

Bill made a good point about being able to move the camera around while leaving the plate in place.

If you're worried about your CX pivoting around up there, just toss a strip of adhesive backed velcro on the helmet and the bottom of the camera. Once you line up the camera, stick it down and insert the screw, and it won't go anywhere.

As a back up, take a sharpie marker and draw a line along the side of the camera once it's lined up. If you suspect the camera has moved, just check it's position relative to the line.

If you want simple, it doesn't get much more simple than velcro and sharpies.

Trunk also makes an indicator for about 50 bucks you might think about. It doesn't have the control module to turn the camera on and off, but has the LED's that will show you if you are in standby/recording/error etc. For temp use, you could easily use a little gaffers tape to install it temporarily.

I have one on my backup camera (will be upgrading to a 2nd hype-eye next season. and it works well. Don't have to second guess if you are recording or not but doesn't require any permanent installation.

Wasn't understanding the LCD on/off feature. Though you would need a hypereye to control it on/off with with it disabled. Played with the camera and see how it works. Thanks Doug.