JohnMitchell

GoPro shuts off on jumprun

I had this happen twice this weekend. Fully charged, lots of room on the SD card, 3-4 minutes standby mode. Door opens, I push the top button to turn it on, get the slow pulsing light. Under canopy I reach up and hit the top button to shut it off.

Viewing the video, I get less than a minute of aisle shuffling and climbing out, then the camera shuts off. I have an inverted mounting on the front of my helmet, so it's very unlikely the "top" button is getting bumped. Also, the final frames don't show any bumping, etc.

Each time I've then pushed the button to stop videoing under canopy. At this point, both times, it's turned on and videoed the next ten minutes, until I shut it off in the hangar. :S

Any ideas?

Thoughts/ideas based on your description (particularly since it records 10 minutes continually under descent, which suggests it is something to do with the shutter button):

- does it only shut off when you are in high wind? (climbout/freefall, or sometimes when in plane?)

- does it work properly if you use someone elses housing? (I.e, is the a faulty/flaky shutter button on your camera, or a faulty/flaky housing shutter activator?)

- can you get it to stay on if you put it in "one Button" mode? In this mode, the shutter button is disabled: it starts recording when you power it up with the power button. If the shutter button (either of camera, or the housing) is flaky, this mode should allow you to get the video you want.

(I just RTFM, as I just bought one B|)

John,
If it is consistently doing this, I'd start with the card; it might not have been seated correctly. I've seen this only once, but it sounds like a similar issue. Be sure the contacts are all clean on the card.

Next, check the buttons/housing as others have mentioned. It could be a button got stuck/is sticking.

Try for the "one button" mode as well. Turn on camera, it's recording. No messing with on/then record.

Sounds like you had a gremlin, would be nice to know if he revisits.

John,
If it is consistently doing this, I'd start with the card; it might not have been seated correctly. I've seen this only once, but it sounds like a similar issue. Be sure the contacts are all clean on the card.

Next, check the buttons/housing as others have mentioned. It could be a button got stuck/is sticking.

Try for the "one button" mode as well. Turn on camera, it's recording. No messing with on/then record.

Sounds like you had a gremlin, would be nice to know if he revisits.

Ahhh, Bingo maybe.B|

My son had taken the card out. When I put it back in, it didn't recognize it. I reseated it and it appeared to work normally . . . some of the time.

Thanks, Doug, I'll start with that.

For Faulk, I'm using a SanDisk card that had been working great. Thanks for the input. :)