DSE

More 4K

8K will be the end of most of our lifecycle...We'll see other things creep in, but at 8K, properly acquired, we've hit the end of what we can resolve.
Bigger screens, better codecs, transparent displays, wall displays that auto- scale based on viewing distance, large format touch screen interactive ability, voice control, asset management and embedded ads in the broadcast video (imagine seeing a box of lucky charms, touching it, and having it auto-order you a box, no text in the ad).
SmellOvision is likely coming back in a different form (fourth attempt), and displays that are 100% integrated to computer tasks as wall displays are already here.
But...don't expect resolutions to go past 8k in our lifetime. There isn't even a proposed research format any higher than that ATM.

All this HD stuff is facinating to read about,,but my question is where is the end ? i mean what is our perfect vision resolution at ? Whats the most the human eye can see ?

The human eye can resolve 1/60 of a degree (20/20 vision). What this means is for any display resolution, once you stand far enough away, you can't make out individual pixels.

For example, the standard suggested field of view for movie watching is 40 degrees (THX). 40/(1/60) = 2400 pixels max. Doesn't matter what the distance or screen size is, if you are watching a movie on a screen that has more than 2400 pixels across, you are either "wasting" resolution or having to look around the screen more than is likely comfortable.

So for movies anyway, I don't see a lot of benefit displaying at higher resolution than we do now, but like DSE alluded to, 4k and 8k are great for video games or other interactive displays where you may not want or need to take in the whole display at once.

4k gives a usable FOV of 68 degrees, and 8k gives a massive 136 degrees.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

..so 8K is kinda good for digital IMAX instead of 70mm film right?

from a quick search, looks like IMAX recommended FOVs range from 60 deg in the back of the theater to 120 deg if you are right in front of the screen. So 8K would be good. looks like digital IMAX now uses dual 2K projectors, so for most people, the picture is not quite as sharp as it could be.

Not sure how that compares with 70mm film, I guess you would have to know grain size of the film? You probably know more about analog film resolution limits that I...
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Thank you Spot!
I actually got to see both the pro and the prosumer version at the PDN expo a month ago... While it was a photo event, all manufactures were promoting their video/movie capabilities too.
Canon was pushing the 1Dc and its 4K cine stuff (and of course displaying/promoting the C500 as well). They were making large prints from 4K frame grabs...
Sony displayed the AX1 and the PXW-Z100...
There were a few 4K displays too from Samsung, Sony and etc... They're stunning for sure.
Nice article!
Laszlo

The size for Sony's AX100 makes it a perfect candidate for the next 4K skydiving camera. Will its OIS make it impossible for us to use in freefall? 30 fps good enough @ 4K? DSE let us know when you get your hands on one
http://www.childrenofthesky.com

Freefly!

The new 4K Black Magic looks very promising for $2995 only.
Global shutter, on board ssd recorder for 880Mb/s for RAW or 422 ProRes, LANC (for CamEye and Hypoxic in our world), Canon lens mount, 12 f stop dynamic range, and compact size and weight.
It would be cool if this camere really as good a it looks on paper.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicproductioncamera4k

The point of the 265 standard is to bring the format to a tubeable bandwidth.
Optical disc is merely a leverage, no different than HDV was for DV. It's a short-lived strategy, one Sony is already dev'd up for. Blu-print isn't even getting an upgrade.
However, you're right...I shouldn't have said it won't make it to disc. When I made that comment, Sony had decided against joining HEVC, but that has also changed.

Hi all.
I have been lucky enough to recently do around 30 Wingsuit jumps using the AX100 4K Camera and I thought I’d share some of what I’ve learned so far for anyone seriously interested in this as a Skydiving Camera.
Please understand that although I’ve done a lot of Skydiving and Wingsuiting Camera over the years, my tech knowledge is really quite limited. I am more of a set and forget kind of guy, although I do appreciate filming in the best quality resolution I can. DSE is the expert as far as the settings and technical side of what this camera could do without doubt, I just thought I’d share my personal experiences from using this camera to film Wingsuit Flying as there was a few questions about it on this thread.
My WS Team mates adjusted the settings for me before I jumped it and I’ve done little to it since. We have this camera on loan from Sony to do a few Wingsuit Demo jumps for them and most of these are the training flights we have done and a few Wingsuit Artistic Competition jumps I also filmed this past weekend using the camera.
Firstly, the size. I have it mounted on top of a Modified Cookie Fuel camera helmet and have added a few pics below of it mounted so you get an idea. For those of you who are Old-school like myself and remember the Hi-8 Camera days, it’s pretty similar to the size and weight of those. Not too bad, just don’t expect a tiny lightweight camera or even anything close to a CX100 size. If I was to guess, I’d say around 3 x times the size and weight of a CX100 in fact. Having said that, if it is mounted well on a good, comfortable helmet you should be dandy.
I don’t have a wide angle lens on the camera. The thread is pretty big, but I’m sure you may find one. I prefer it as is though and I would guess it to be around .5 to .55 by the old Wide Angle scale. I would probably feel comfortable doing 4 way camera with it but getting the exit would require you to be on your game in my opinion.
I do have steady shot on, it doesn’t seem to have the rather aggressive “Boss” steady shot that the PJ models had. (I have a PJ430 and always found the steady shot to be slightly behind the movement of the camera) but it does have a great steady shot mode.
I have been running the camera on its full 4K setting at 25p and using a SanDisk SDXC 2 (class 3) 64GB SD card. It’s a 280MB/s card and cost around $350 Australian… damn that stung 

I’ve made a quick 2 minute video of some of the footage from the camera so far. This isn’t an exercise in Video editing, just to see how the footage looks on YouTube when uploaded with their 4K setting.
I’ve done absolutely nothing to this footage, simply dragged short grabs directly from the SD Card into the Final Cut Pro Timeline and added a music track (if YouTube haven’t removed it yet..). I haven’t adjusted color, or resolution, stabilization or even used any form of Slow Motion, this is as it was filmed. I wanted to see what the quality was without any adjustment.
So please select the highest quality setting in YouTube (2186P 4K) and I hope this helps anyone who is wondering about this Camera. If you have an normal Aussie internet connection like me, then you should be able to view it by this time next week….
Hope this helps and apologies for the lack of tech knowledge on the camera. Happy to answer questions if I can though, I am really impressed with this camera!!
I have just purchased the new iMac with the 5K screen and I can assure you that regardless of how you think the quality from this camera looks on YouTube, it is Jaw Dropping on a 27 inch 5K resolution screen B|
Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iF4f6EpRuk